Oly 9mm fisheye for rokinon 7.5 owner

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by yehuda, Mar 19, 2014.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi.
    This has been discussed and I understand the rokinon fisheye has much better IQ compared with the pancake oly fisheye.
    I also realize having F8 is very limiting and the rokinon focuses closer and has much finer focus and aperture control.
    Now to why I opened a thread on this topic.
    Can anyone who owns both lenses please post full res files preferably in RAW format of the same scene so I can get a better apples to apples comparison?
    I'm thinking of buying the small oly so I never have to think if I want to carry a fisheye with me -I can simply put it in my pocket.
    The rokinon is not huge but definitely requires a small bag or coat pockets.
    Most of the time I don't have either...

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Someone said they were going to do this comparison and I too have been waiting. The Rokinon, which I bought new for $200, is a much, MUCH better lens than I was expecting. It's very, very sharp, even in the corners. It's an amazing lens.

BUT, the 9mm BCL is a different animal entirely, IMO. The 9mm is a body cap first, lens second. So it's meant to be in your bag at all times to cap your camera when you want to pull the lens off, just like the 15mm BCL. So, you're out shooting with a few lenses and you stop in the restaurant. You want to relax and look at your photos on the LCD but just want to throw the PM2 in your pocket: off comes the big lens, which stays in the car, and on goes the BCL.

Had the 9mm been out at the time I might not have gotten the Rokinon, although it's much better in all aspects except for size (and 2.5 stops faster). The reason is that I don't use the fisheye often and that FL is something I'd just like to have on me at all times for when I need it. Too bad there isn't a 150mm BCL lens too ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    If you're into pixel-peeping, don't even consider the 9mm. It's one of the worst lenses of the system in terms of IQ, while the 7,5mm is one of the best. Although if you look for examples in the internet, I'd say it's reasonably sharp, but not really comparable to the 7,5mm. Only reason to get the 9mm is if you want the camera to be pocketable with it. Although it's called a bodycap lens, I would say it's as much bodycap as any other (pancake) lens. No one would buy it to use it just as a bodycap, it's primarily still a lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm not into pixel peeping but do appreciate good quality nonetheless.
    In my experience, good post processing can mitigate many faults in a lens (I shoot raw only and have a whole workflow set up to my needs).
    That's why I would like to have raw files to compare.
    If someone is willing to upload such files I promise to postprocess them in equal terms and upload my processed jpeg files for evaluation.
    The term good enough can be quite elusive and that's why I need to see it in my own eyes...

5. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    I have just sent you two RAW files via PN.

6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    If you want to post your findings and comparisons here, I would love to see them. I'm sure others would as well.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    +1

I have the Rokinon, and the BCL is coming in via FedEx in a few days, I'd love to see a comparison of post processed files. :2thumbs:

I'm hoping that the BCL will be "close enough" to leave the Rokinon at home most of the time.

Regards,

Jim

8. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Here are 2 jpeg files I processed identically using LR5.
    Due to mu-43 file size restrictions I had to downsize them to 3000x2250 pixels.

Thanks goes to dafloyd for providing me both files. I assume they were taken from the same spot.

Although it's difficult to really test the difference in IQ as both photos were shot indoors at high ISO settings, a quick glance tells me the biggest difference is angle of view.

dafloyd - if you can kindly shoot 2 photos outside and send them to me... Thanks, man! It's greatly appreciated :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    I can sadly not take the 9mm to the outside of the shop, I just went there to test it :)
    I find sharpness OK for a Lens of this size and don't expect this to be a Lens where someone pull crops out of it.
    It is still a bit on the expensive side for me, being at 99 Euros here in Germany. My Samyang 7.5 is basically glued to my IR converted E-P2, it is such a fun Lens. I think I will nevertheless buy the 9mm if prices go down or if I get a used one, as it makes a very nice small Fisheye-IR package on my to be converted E-PM1. It also shows no IR Hotspots.

cheers,
    dirk

• Like Like x 2
  10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    This is so funny... Here I was, wondering why this guy sends photos taken from a camera store. I feel so silly now. :)
    Anyway, I think this small test proves the 9mm is more than adequate for when you want an extra lens just in case you need something wider. And for its size you'll never give it another thought.

11. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    People should just remind others that these BCL are not Zuiko lenses, what means Olympus doesn't even give them stamp of their lens lines quality.