Oly 9-18mm vs. Panny 7-14mm??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sparklehorse, Apr 9, 2010.

1. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    I've been saving up my pennies to get a wide zoom for the GH1. Trouble is, which one? The Oly is due out soon. It's hundreds less expensive than the Panny, it's smaller, it's half the weight, it has filter threads. I'd be happy to wait a while for it, but I have this nagging feeling the Panny will prove to be the better lens, at least when mounted on a Panny camera. For one thing the Panny lens is a fair bit wider at the wide end. But more importantly, I don't think there will be any in-camera processing with the Oly to correct for chromatic aberation or distortion. And I don't think it will be optimized for video. And it's not clear if the auto focus will work as well. Anyone care to speculate on the pros and cons of the Oly? Who else is waiting for the Oly instead of just buying a 7-14mm Panny right now?
    Thanks for your help.
    Gordon

2. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm waiting for the oly... at $700 instead of $1100... somethings going to give.

As for your concerns, olympus does do distortion correction, it's just CA they don't do. Both CA and distortion are done in body so there's a pretty good chance you'll get both (though I'm not 100% sure).

As for my concerns.... $400 cheaper, and half the size, as long as it's "good" quality, I'm not going to pick at it for not being the "best" quality.

Incidentally, I also have the oly 17mm and panny 20mm lenses. Although by all accounts the 20mm is "higher quality", I find myself with this illogical love for the 17mm lens and I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I'm "satisfied" with the image quality of the 17mm lens and I find myself using it more than the 20mm for all the other reasons (like size etc).

• Like Like x 2
  3. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Historically I mostly shoot wide, and REALLY want to buy this lens, but the price gives me pause. As such I've been hanging patiently. I note that today it finally fell under $1000 on Amazon to $999.77. I hope that is a start to a trend. Like you I suspect it will become more affordable after the arrival of some competition.

4. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    As stated above, the Panny 7-14mm seems to have fallen in price:

http://43rumors.com/hot-amazon-us-deal-panasonic-7-14mm-lens-for-999/

No one knows about the optical quality of the new Oly 9-18mm (I am sure it will be good) but the Panny has a few things going for it:

1. The optical quality is superb - it even rivals my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 which is supposed to be the best UWA zoom out there;
    2. It is a constant f/4; and
    3. The extra 2mm on the wide end makes a big difference if you like shooting wide.

I am sure there will be a lot of comparisons when the Oly is finally released. I am also glad there are more lenses for the m43 system - choice and competition is good :D