Oly 9-18mm "bad copy"?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by robknight, Nov 22, 2012.

1. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought the Oly 9-18 lens about a month ago after doing a lot of research between the 9-18 and the Pana 7-14. I used the 9-18 over a weekend trip to shoot fall colors, and the results were surprisingly bad. The edges of the frame at 9mm were very distorted and almost blurry. I could crop that out, but that defeats the purpose of a UWA lens. I had the same results with OOC jpegs and raw images processed in LR4 and Oly Viewer. I returned the lens the following week.
    I have seen some nice images out of that lens and everyone else seems to love it. Do you think I got the infamous bad copy? The focal length is right in my wheelhouse and I'd be willing to try another lens.

Suggestions?

Thanks, and happy thanksgiving!

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just posted some of my better shots from an afternoon out with my new 9-18 in this thread. I do see what you describe when shooting tall objects (trees seem to be the worse) that are at the edge of the frame.

Lee

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I've owned all 3. The IQ of the 9-18mm is near to but not as good as the 12/2 or 7-14mm. So I agree -- it must've been a bad copy. I would say you should try another one.

Shameless advertisement: I have a 7-14 on the B&S thread if you're interested. :)

4. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have problems. I definitely noticed it more with fine details like trees. The shots you posted don't seem to have much trouble.

5. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe I'll try another one. I would be tempted by the 7-14 if I could use filters on it :)

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You can use filters on it, there is a system available or you can go the DIY route as well. Either way, filters are possible.

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Post some of these photos. I actually think this may be normal. UWA often distorts at the edges. On the other hand, maybe it is not. All rather subjective until we see shots.

9. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    What I'm seeing is not the usual distortion from a wide angle lens. Even the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye doesn't have smeary edges like this on my OM-D.
    Maybe it's the software distortion correction... I'll post a crop that shows the problem when I have a minute

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
  11. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's the first shot that I noticed the problem on. Not an award winner or anything, just a good example of the problem...

8210614074_785c894a2c_z.
    _A212366-3.jpg by Rob Knight Photo, on Flickr

Here's a center crop. This is in LR4 with the default sharpening applied to the ORF file, no complaints. With more specific sharpening settings it looks great in the center:

8209525541_5326eb5d12_z.
    Center by Rob Knight Photo, on Flickr

And the problem... This is the top left corner of the frame. The other corners are similar:

8209525651_792afcdec1_z.
    Top Left Corner by Rob Knight Photo, on Flickr

I don't think I'm picking nits here. The examples I have seen here (thanks for the links!) don't seem to be anywhere near as crappy in the corners as the lens I had.

I know that it is "possible" to use filters on the Panny 7-14, but from my research it doesn't look like I can use the expensive 77mm filters I already have. Is there something I missed?