1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 9-18 Time to Jump on It?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It looks like the Olympus 9-18 zoom for micro four thirds is on sale just about everywhere for $599 until April 20. That's a $100 discount. Is it time to jump on this deal or is it likely we'll see it for less down the road a bit? I've seen posts about people picking it up new for $499 on sale but I haven't seen anything like that in the past year.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I was able to pick up a refurb for $550. I think $599 is a great price point for new.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Cameta sells this lens (refurbished) for ~$550, though it's out of stock at the moment.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, I've seen that and it's an option. But it seems $599 may be the best we'll see for brand new going forward.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, for a $50 difference on a lens this expensive, I'd probably buy new. But I'm assuming that the new price will soon return to $699, in which case $550 for a refurb looks much more appealing to me. :smile:

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I can't comment on US prices, but the 9-18 is worth every penny I paid for it.

I bought the 12mm and the difference was minimal to me, except for the wider aperture.

I rely heavily on IBIS, and narrow depth of field isn't interesting to me for wide angles - quite the opposite - so back it went.

Only a really good 9 or 10mm prime might tempt me, but even then ...

Go for it!

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It certainly looks like this is going to be the best deal on a new version for a while. I just placed an order via Amin's Amazon.com link. Thanks all!

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    if it was faster I'd jump all over it. I may still order one, but I am on the fence. I really don't need it with the 12/2.0 and the 20/1.7

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand. I have the 20/1.7 but really don't want to spring $800 for the 12/2.0 (which I'll probably eventually end up getting anyway). But I will use the 9mm focal length with this lens.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yep Steve, I agree, if you don't have a wider lens, that 9-18 should work well for you.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I looked long and hard and got a nice condition one used with hood for $533. I think if you need one, the new price is pretty good right now.

More than a year ago, you could get this lens used under $500, but I think Oly raised their price on this lens or something.

btw -- I forgot how small this thing is! (just got it in the mail today)

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, that's what's so appealing about it - it's size. I got the hood as well. While I have both Panasonic and Olympus micro four-thirds cameras (and enjoy both) I suspect that, going forward, there'll be more emphasis on the Olympus side. It may have to do with with the fact that Panny's larger cameras are getting big. And some of their lenses aren't tiny, either. I could see myself with an OM-D more than a GH3. And I like my E-PM2 a lot more than Panny's GF series.

13. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was able to purchase it last month with the $150 rebate on it, love shooting it.

14. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    If you enjoy UWA, you have to own this FL but perhaps the lower price is a signal that a 9-18mm II will be coming out just like happened w/ the O75-300mm.

I own both the 9-18 & the 12 & love them both but for very different things. Digital opens up the whole night time world & the 12 f2 is essential for that. But its just barely UWA to me.

15. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It's been sold at rebate before; so probably not a harbinger of replacement. I got it last rebate and been liking it since.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There isn't too much wrong with the 9-18 (no more than you'd expect from a small cheap-ish wide angle lens). If they did anything, the could update the cosmetics maybe.

17. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I know the zoom range of 9-18 is nice, but it's hard for me to believe that that lens would be much more useful than a fixed 14mm - IF you have normal/longer FL lenses already. For me 14mm or 28 in FF is wide enough 90% of the time.
    If WA lenses are used to get a "near-far" look, then you have to have something near or close for this effect. If you do, backing up a couple of steps with the 14 will just about give the same view. I know it's not exactly the same, but it is close.
    Now, if you don't have a 20 or 25, then a 9-18mm plus a 45mm and a longer zoom tele would be a nice kit.

18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    What do you think the differences in the "II" version will be?

19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

- Different model name (II)
    - Different colour / design
    - Some other build changes making it cheaper to manufacture

;)

20. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Hmm, I don't know, I have a 14-42, 14-150, and a 20mm, and the difference between 9mm and 14mm is significant! Heck even 12mm vs 14mm is very noticeable for me. But then again, different strokes for different folks, I guess.