1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 9-18 or Panny 100-300

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by cvwood, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Going to the islands soon and I have the opportunity to pick up *a* lens. I've want both but can only do one right now. So...which one first?!?

Oh the huge manatee!

2. The 9-18mm and it's not even close, but...someone else who prefers shooting telephoto will tell you the opposite. Which type of lens do you prefer shooting with?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    As a second lens, generally a wide angle is much more useful for everyday and vacation shooting than a telephoto.

G

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What islands?

Are you a landscape shooter or a wildlife shooter?

What other lens(es) do you have?

5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    +1 for wide angle.

I had to make the same choice. Wide is more useful to me especially when traveling. I loved the idea of long zoom but only think i could come up with is shooting close up things like birds with my limited imagination. lol

For my imagination wide angle was a lot better.

I did read an article in magazine about using tele zoom for landscape but 100-300 might be too long.

6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    it's a no brainer. if there are nude beaches, go with the long zoom!

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This is a little like asking whether you should buy a hammer or a screwdriver. What work do you need to do?

The 9-18 is a somewhat general-purpose tool. At the wide end it is great for interior shots in palaces, churches, etc. At the longer end it is good for street photography. I have that lens and will only part with it if a similar but faster version comes along.

The 100-300 is more specialized, good for sports, mountain goats, visitors to Osama Bin Laden's house, etc. I will be buying that lens for wildlife photography on a trip to southern Africa this fall and selling it when I return. It is too specialized, large, and heavy to stay in my kit. (Because it is so specialized, I have bought an extra G1 body for it, something I will also sell when I return.)

If your "islands" are the Galapagos you need neither, though you could have some fun with the 9-18. The wildlife is so close you will be stumbling on the sea lions, iguanas, and Sally Lightfoot crabs. If the "islands" includes Kodiak island, you will need the 100-300.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm falling in with oldracer and Nic on this one. Like Nic, for me it'd be the 9-18 .

Like oldracer, The question you've asked is similar to: Should I buy a car or a tractor?

9. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    It's not really an either/or question, more of a which comes first. I think I'm leaning strongly in the direction of the 9-18, since I just acquired a legacy tele from Alan and am looking at a legacy 400 currently, both of which can handle what I'd like the 100-300 to do, albeit with MF only.

Guess now it's all a matter of making a couple of calls and seeing who has what and the best price....tax-free Caribbean islands soooo nice!

10. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Although, that XZ-1 on Amazon is pretty tempting and could blow my lens budget away completely......the kit 14-42 takes good landscapes, right?!?! Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to have to start another thread on the value of the kit lens for landscapes!

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm buying a used wide angle for a week on the cape. I may or may not keep it after, but you gotta have it for an island vacation. Also, the 9-18 is a nice 35mm at full zoom, which is also helpful.

Get a cheap 50mm 1.4 and adapter for a moderate telephoto, if you want to try that.

12. Gazinauz

Gazinauz New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi, just caught your comment on telephoto lens, I took my 45-200 Lumix lens attached to my Gf2 into Brisbane city last week, what a shock for me, way to strong, felt like I was in everyone's face!! Gave up and went and had sushi.

13. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I know this jumps outside your question, but would it be possible to take the Olympus 14-150mm? I have the Panasonic 14-140mm and find that it's a very useful range.

14. Gazinauz

Gazinauz New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, have come to that decision, will put it on eBay. Thanks, I am learning quickly.
    Have now Eps-1 and Gf2 the Eps 1 only a few weeks.

Attached Files:

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I had the 14-45 and the 45-200 pair and found that I was changing lenses way too often. (Most of my photography is tourist stuff.) My lenses now are the 9-18mm and the 14-140mm, which work great for me. The 14-140mm is a bit heavy, but not as heavy as the 14-45/45-200 pair. And it actually cost me a bit less than I got selling the pair.

16. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    As all ready has been said it depends what you shoot if you already have a kit zoom I would look at the photos you have taken if they at the wide angle end and you feel that you need more then the oly 9-18mm (I love mine) if they tend to be at the tel end then look at getting a longer zoom. It not really a case of which to get first, it more depends on what you photograph most, with my :43: it tends to be more wide angel I did look at geting a longer zoom lens but thought most looked to big on my GF1 when you zoom out.

17. kylotofoto

kylotofoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 23, 2011
    Canada
    Kara Woodward
    Go for the 9-18. These M4/3 cameras are best normal and wide. I have the Panasonic 45-200 and it is only so-so. The 9-18 makes some really great images. Haven't tried the 100-300 you are talking about but doubled for the crop it may be dicey much beyond the short end. lots of 9-18 shots here New York Photos EP-2 - a set on Flickr

18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    9-18!!! awesome lens for sure

• Like Like x 1
  19. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I dont like when people say it depends on what you shoot with...obviously thats the easy way out answer. If the someone is asking this question, that means they dont know what they are going like shooting with. They are basically blank slate and they can go either way.

Atleast if I was asking this questions i wouldnt know how I feel. IF i knew how I liked shooting why would i ask this question. It becomes a rhetorical question. Please give examples on why you think each is okay let the person decide based on your experience.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Overall I disagree. People who ask this question need to be challenged on what they want to achieve. Having said that, when it comes to m43 I agree with kylophoto - there is a range of FLs that m43 handles better than others.