Oly 9-18 on Panny body ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Livnius, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi all.

Just a call out to anybody out there who has tried the Oly 9-18 on a Panasonic body and if I could get some feedback as to AF performance, software correction issues, stabilization etc etc ....the usual stuff. I would especially love to hear from you of you have tried it on a GF1.

Feel free to offer your own insights and user experiences with this lens as I am strongly considering it for an 8 week trip to Canada this winter as my wide-end zoom. I've found it here in Melbourne for a steal....$320....for the moment I'm keeping its location a secret ;)

Thanks in advance.

2. Firstly: $320 = buy that thing right now!
    Secondly: I use the 9-18mm almost exclusively on the GH1, not my Pen.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    $320 in Aus? Bloomin heck...

4. Stone the flamin' crows!

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I own it and love it. It has worked well on my GF1, GF2 and G1 with no issues.

Stabilization is not an issue since there isn't any. The Panny bodies are not stabilized and neither are the Oly lenses.

I have not noticed any autofocus issues but I usually use it in architecture and landscapes where, for the most part, buildings and trees stand still.

For $320 you cannot go wrong. I would recommend you buy it, use it and, if you don't like it sell it for a nice profit after your vacation. Not a bad scenario.

1050980-L.

6. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    I use mine all the time, previously on the GF1 and now the G3. It's my favorite lens; small and light. It has excellent resolution, and fast focus speed. The barrel distortion correction works just fine. There is no LCA correction on Oly lenses, and this lens does show some LCA in the corners.

7. alphasierra

alphasierra Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I use the 9-18 on a GF2, no problems at all. AF is good - speed seems OK, but I'm not in a hurry so may not notice fractions of a second. There is no stabilization, but you don't really need it for such a short focal length. Have corrected a few photos for chromatic aberration in Lightroom, but not too hard to do.

As everyone has said - for the price, just buy it. If you don't like it, you'll be able to make your money back again (and perhaps more).

8. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    No problems at all on my GF1.

P1060157-lr3-edit.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks lads, that pretty much answers all my questions.

Image stabilization a non issue at this focal length.....tick

Performance on older Panny body....tick

Software correction of distortion/CA....tick

The only thing left to do is hope it doesnt get sold before i get a chance to go out for a drive this weekend and take a first hand look at the lens myself, If everything checks out I'll pick it up. The panny 7-14 was my preferred option, but given ill be spending a truck load of cash in Vegas for new years and then 7 weeks of snowboarding in Canada...cost is a huge consideration. From what I gather though, for the price the 9-18 packs quite an IQ punch.

BTW.....that's a fantastic shot fastcorner !

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Livnius... is the lens being sold by a private owner or a photo shop? If it's the latter, maybe you can use a credit card to hold the lens with no obligation to buy. Good luck!

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Private seller...was a little vague over the phone so not sure if he's a photog...my guess he's dumping and unused expensive toy before Christmas so he can go buy himself something really useful like a fly rod.

12. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy the lens. I thought I got mine for a good price before I saw the price you're getting!

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Is it the m43 version or the 4/3 version that needs an adapter?

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Very good question. I think the price tag comes from the 4/3 version. Hope it is m43 and I think everyone here are disgussing of that too. I have owned m44 version and it's a good lens with a butt ugly look.

15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    You will need an adapter to use that lens if it is not the micro version. Extra $.

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Good luck on your lens purchase! :thumbup:
    7 weeks of snowboarding in Cananda? :eek: I wish I could take that much time off my work without being asked to pack all my stuff with me! Have a fabulous trip and take loads of pictures! :wink:

17. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    no issues on a g3

Focuses fast

Almost always use it outdoors, so the issue is getting a fast enough shutter speed, or should I just give up and get a polarizer, so IS/OIS is never an issue for the way that I shoot.

The usual stuff applies as with all wide angle shooting, too big a nose if you are not careful with folks at the edge of the frame, but that has nothing to do with this WA, common to all of them.

go for it ..... should be great in the mountains.

Do post the results.

Dave