1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 8mm Fisheye and OMD choice

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ig7, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone tried the Oly 8mm fisheye on both OMD EM-1 and EM-5 (old version). I plan to keep it on one of them during a trip to Italy and not sure which one of the cameras works better with it. The other camera will have Pany 12-35 on it. Thanks for all the advice

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you talking about the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 fisheye for m4/3 or the 8mm f/3.5 fisheye for 4/3?

3. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Oly 8mm 1.8

4. wjiang

I don't own one but I've tested one in a store, plus I've shot using the Samyang 7.5 FE on both E-M5 and E-M1. I'd say both bodies would work reasonably well, the more important thing is which would you prefer for the 12-35 as that is going to be more frequently used.

Personally I'd want to be using the E-M1 most of the time with the 12-35 due to better ergonomics. The 8mm by comparison is lighter and smaller so it would be fine on either body. Another consideration if you plan on using the 8mm for astrophotography is that the E-M5 has less long exposure noise compared to the E-M1.

5. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am planning to use it for street shooting in narrow spaces, so I guess em-5 would be fine.

6. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    The Oly 8mm fisheye is longer and heavier than the 12-35 2.8 (when retracted) :) Little less chubby, though!

7. wjiang

Ah so it is... not by much at all though, by the time you factor in a possible hood for the 12-35. Still, given how much more the 12-35 will likely be used, I'd still say put that on the better body.

8. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that it's important to keep horizontal line even to reduce distortion and em-1 has the level feature. I gues i can slways adjust in pp

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The perceived wisdom is to keep the horizon in the middle of the frame in order to keep it flat rather than have it curve. That's correct, but it's only part of the story.

Any straight line which passes through the centre of the frame will remain straight, no matter what its angle is. You can tilt a horizon like a sea/sky line and it will remain straight PROVIDED it passes through the centre of the frame.

Once you move straight lines so they don't pass through the centre of the frame then they are going to bend. How much they bend is going to depend in large part on how far away from the centre of the frame the line is placed. The further away from the centre of the frame, the more curvature will be introduced.

The E-M5 also has the electronic level indication as well as the E-M1.

10. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    found it on em-5, thank you

11. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Does this lens have a " sweet spot" for street photography?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. wjiang

Sweet spot and fisheye is a funny concept... but like most f/1.8 lenses it probably reaches a peak around f/2.8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    about 3cm directly in front of the lens. ;)

14. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know, thank you

15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I have the 8mm,1.8. It works fine on my e-m1 and I expect it will work fine on the e-m5. Focus is a non-issue with these things. Size is relatively small so there's no real advantage to using it on the e-m1.

Prior advice was good...focus on usability with the 12-35. The 8mm will easily work with either.

16. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Nice to know I can always count on solid advice from the experts no matter how novice the question is