Oly 8-25/4 and Pen E-PL10 affected by chip shortage

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim

Olympus announces shortages in the 8-25mm F4.0 PRO deliveries and complete halt of the E-PL10 production​

And so it goes. Panasonic and Sony are both affected, and probably others I don't pay attention to.
  • The 8-25mm F4.0 PRO deliveries will be limited in number and you might have to wait more than 2 months before to get the lens
  • The E-PL10 production has been completely halted for the time being

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-an...s-and-complete-halt-of-the-e-pl10-production/

I have some suspicions.
- When things become scarce, remaining stock is sold to the highest bidder. I doubt OM-D has very deep pockets at the moment.
- They are probably funneling what few parts they get into production of the high-end cameras, i.e. the E-M1 Mark III or E-M1X or their successors.
- That there is a strong demand for an E-PL10 in any market other than Japan seems unlikely. In fact, wouldn't be very surprised if they discontinued the PL-line completely outside of Asia.

Last edited:
Real Name
Nigel
Glad I got my 8-25 a couple of weeks ago then!😎. I suspect there is no shortage of em1.3 or x, are they not produced in significant batches? I’ve not seen any lack of them, perhaps they’re saving the chips for the WOW camera…LOL

Last edited:
I'm betting they use more than one model of chip. Perhaps some are more plentiful than others.
I'm betting you're right.
At the same time, I'm also betting that there are some components that are needed in each camera model.
And, with the current market, I'm betting that even those common parts are in short supply at the moment.
That's special about the current situation, there are many things that are not very special but still suffering from shortages.
Paint. Lumber. I read about a magnesium shortage today.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Speculation: with the chip shortage rumoured to be pushing back some product launches (not limited to cameras), might we see manufacturers revisiting firmware for existing product lines? The aim being to squeeze some additional performance from them in a bid to keep their offer relatively ‘fresh’.

Real Name
Glenn
I fear there will be a longer and longer list of hard to get items in every area for a while. Possibly a long while. I tried this morning to schedule getting my windshield replaced and was told there is a real shortage of auto glass as well. Luckily mine was still in stock since it doesn't use all the nanny electronic sensor gizmos. Granted we had a hurricane down here in LA which has glass shops scrambling anyway but I think that has just added to it.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Firmware updates probably are more based on performance than the other way around. With 5 year old processor of E-M1 II, I don't expect them to add 1 stop extra IS like E-M1X and E-M1 III, for example..

I did update the firmware of my E-M1 II last night in preparation for the impending arrival of 8-25mm F4 later this week. Finding it being offered with a $200 discount, and also remembering this news that shortages of the lens will continue, making future discounts unlikely, I thought it better not to wait.

8-25mm F4 probably is not just affected by supply of parts, but also the COVID situation in Vietnam. Having hundreds of relatives there (to visit them was the reason I bought E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 in the first place, until the pandemic happened), I have heard about lockdowns there in the past few months, and no doubt the production of Olympus lenses has also been affected. As the situation has improved a bit, the production of the lens should too.

Temporary halt of production of a camera body? Not a big deal. It's not like camera bodies are flying off the shelves and stores have trouble keeping them in stock. The technology has matured, people are satisfied with what they have. I think that's the real reason for all the full frame hype now, companies so desperate to keep people spending on camera bodies, some people desperate for improvements. But what's next? Medium format? Large format? Olympus/OM focusing on lenses is the right choice.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom