1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 75mm on GH3?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sigamy, May 12, 2015.

1. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I shoot family photos and my kid's baseball on my GH3. I've been using the Panny 45-200mm and getting decent results. I'm really interested in the Oly 75mm, but the lack of OIS is concerning me.

If I'm shooting handheld, on the sideline of a baseball game, will it be possible to get steady shots? I'll be in S mode, at 1/250 to 1/400s shutter speed.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you will be shooting above 1/150 then your shutter speed will be fast enough to prevent the kind of blur that stabilization prevents. So you wouldn't really get any benefit out of stabilization anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    As tkbslc mentioned, as long as you're above 1/150 shutter speed then you should be fine.

I think the bigger question is will 75mm be long enough?

4. tkbslc

And will you really need f1.8?

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Depending on where the subject is, it could help in isolating the subject better. But if all the OP is interested in is capturing photos for memories, as long as he/she is getting acceptable shots with the 45-200 there really isn't a need to get the 75mm. But I'm sure all of us are guilty of getting something for our camera that we didn't really need at one point or another, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    For indoor sports like basketball, the fast 75, 1.8 is perfect.

Outdoors it's speed isnt necessary, but it is one of the highest resolution lenses in MFT, so it would surely produce some great shots.

The 45-200's perceived resolution score is just 4mp as opposed to 10mp for the 75mm. images should be much sharper even Compared to the 45-200 zoomed in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

I don't necessarily buy the p-Mpix scale, but assuming it is true - 10MP cropped 2.7x (to simulate 75 vs 200mm reach) would leave only 1.6MP.

I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of the lens, it just wouldn't be my first choice for outdoor field sports. I'd be looking at a 35-100 or 40-150mm f2.8

8. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks all. Yes, there is some GAS at work here. ;)

I agree 100% on the reach question. In looking at most of my baseball shots, they tend to be around 150mm. So, I know I'd be given up some reach with the 75mm but I will still bring the 45-200mm with me and switch off. Right now I bring the 14-140 II and the 45-200mm. The 14-140 is only used early in the game to get some full infield shots. Not much else.

Plus, I find that because I have the reach, I don't use my feet to zoom. With the 75mm I can probably use my feet a bit more and maybe shoot thru the fence at times.

My son plays some 3rd base. So when he's at 3rd I can get some nice shots of him and boys stealing 3rd base in that 75mm range.

Now to find a good deal on a black 75mm!

9. tkbslc

If you are currently using 150mm and f5.6 zooms, then what are you hoping the 75mm will do for you? Seems like a really odd choice.