Oly 75 or Oly 40-150 PRO?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mesmerized, Mar 20, 2017.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Dear all,

I'll be going to some tiny villages in China (I'm hoping to visit at least 5) and since people there aren't really used to being photographed, I'd like to take some quality pictures of their daily life from a safe distance. Would you say that Olympus 40-150 might do the job well? Or would Oly 75 be enough?

Thanks

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are size/weight important to you? The 40-150 is a great lens and is very versatile, but it is a bit larger than the 75, especially if you have the collar and hood mounted. I know the 75 has an amazing reputation, but I have just not found the right situations for it to shine for me like the 40-150. Than again, the 70-200 was my favorite Nikkor lens, so that may have something to do with it. Personally, I would buy something small with a tilt screen and use a small prime. Nobody pay attention to me when I use my GF7 at my waist. It is a lot less intimidating in many respects than when you bring a camera up to your eye. Something to consider.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    I'll let the experienced street shooters comment on sniping vs engaging with people, but I will suggest that the 40-150 f/2.8 pro is not exactly surreptitious... On the other hand you gain better compositional flexibility which may be less obtrusive than moving around.

Compact Camera Meter

Screenshot 2017-03-20 10.26.07.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. magIBIS

magIBIS New to Mu-43 Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    The smaller the better. People might not notice you doing the first photo with the 150, but as soon as they will see you, they will be suspicious and stop acting naturally. No picture quality can change that. I dubble the waist level tip. Use gear You know for using it as confident as possible without acting ambitious. You can't avoid the disturbance of beeing there in person. Minimise the parts you can influence.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I never seem to have a problem shooting in public, on the streets with anything I use - and I've shot with the Nikon D500 and Tamron 70-200/2.8 and 300 f/4 PF.

I find that shooting will be more about how I conduct myself and less about what I'm using.

As far as lens choice goes - it depends on your style. I generally prefer the versatility of an f/2.8 zoom over the speed of the f/1.8 primes.
    Unless you know that you'll need that shallow DOF or the extra speed of an f/2.8.

If size is a concern, then I'd look at using an Olympus 40-150/4-5.6R. Very small, versatile and most people shooting street or documentary are looking for more DOF.

Again, bottom line, know what you'll be getting into, pick the gear that best fits the situation and shooting style.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Take a kit 40-150mm It's small, versatile, cheap and great IQ. And add a 25mm F1.8 or 75mm. Gives you plenty of options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    If using a body that'd benefit from a weather sealed lens, also consider the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Selling this lens right now actually... I didn't like it much... Most of the pictures I took with it were not really as sharp as I would hope them to be...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Zuiko Pro 12-40/2.8 n LUMIX G X 35-100/2.8 always in my travel bag for such trip along with LUMIX G Vario 7-14/4 , I always carry 2 bodies .

• Like Like x 2
  10. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    What I was hoping to achieve would be close-ups of people's faces... without arousing too much attention. I thought 40-150 would give me that safe distance from the subject?

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    That or even the Oly 75-300 would do... And in certain perspective are not really that large.

I ran the streets of Indianapolis last year for a whole weekend with only a PEN-F, Panasonic 14/2.5 and Oly 40-150/4-5.6R... And wanted for nothing.

12. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    *shrug* Mine's fine for what it is. Certainly not the best lens in the lineup but it's very versatile and my preference for some circumstances where I have light. It can stand out a bit at full extension (happy to see you) but IMHO not nearly as much as my 40-150 f/2.8 PRO with hood.

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    May I suggest the sigma 60 2.8? It's a great lens without an alarming size, and the working distance isn't much different than with the 75.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How about Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 instead of the 40-150 Pro? You get the f2.8 zoom and a 1/3 more reach than a 75mm. It's not much bigger than the 75mm and less than half the weight of the 40-150. It's also sealed.

Compact Camera Meter

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This is an issue that has been debated to no end in street photography forums and threads. I am not sure what you want to be safe from, but if you are obviously a foreigner in a place that does not regularly see photographic equipment, I cannot imagine how you would not arouse the attention of locals, especially when you have a camera and decent chunk of glass in front of your face. If you prefer to shoot at some distance, I would suggest something smaller than the 40-150, like the 35-100 or the 75 and learn to shoot from the waist. Not so much for being stealthy as much as allowing you the option to minimize startling folks as well as possibly allowing you to make some eye contact. Candid shots can be rewarding, but so can street portraits. Again, something to consider.

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    If you're not interested in engaging your subject ("What are you doing? May I take your picture?") then the 75 will be your best bet. It won't stand out as a telephoto lens and allow waist level shooting.

Any zoom that extends, draws attention to the fact you are zoomed in where the lens is pointing; far from surreptitious. A lens like the 40-150 will draw attention from the size I'd thinks.

Your best chance to get great pictures will be engaging your subject, and then letting them go back to what they were doing while you frame with a zoom.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if these villages are truly tiny and don't get a lot of tourists, and if you are a Westerner, you're going to stand out regardless, especially attracting attention from the local kids.

Last time I was in China, a middle-school aged girl followed me for a couple blocks and within a store, and this was in a city of about 1 million.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    As far as I know, there's a new Pana-Leica coming... 50-200, is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    1 Million, that must be a quite small city/prefecture in China, and in places like that everybody looks at you.

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, very close to Shenyang, 开原.
    But hardly a village, especially compared to where you visited for the clay houses recently. I've been to the countryside a couple times, but not more than an hour outside of the cities, so still not extremely rural... Not been anywhere remote like that.

The first time I went to China was in the late 1990s, and I did get a good amount of attention, especially from kids, in the smaller cities.
    Nowadays, I get only a few stares, mostly from kids and seniors, in those cities.
    It doesn't help that I'm very tall.

• Like Like x 1