Oly 75-300MM II with GX7 IBIS. Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by oldracer, Jul 30, 2014.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Title says it all. Spare me speculation, please. I can speculate.

I am trying to decide between the Oly with the slightly wider short end and no lens stabilization versus the stabilized Panny 100-300MM. They are about the same price, so if the GX7 IBIS handles the Oly well, then that would seem to be the better choice.

TIA

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The GX7 IBIS isn't up to snuff compared to Oly's 3 or 5 axis system. Panny's lens-based OIS would be a better bet, especially when shooting at 600mm. Sure, you lose a bit on the short end, but the Panasonic lens is a half stop faster than the Olympus lens, which is a trade off that I'd take any day of the week.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    In other words, you have no experience with the combination I am asking about, right?

4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I use the 75-300 Mk II on both my E-M5 and GX-7. With the GX-7 IBIS, I've had no problems shooting with the lens down to shutter speeds of 1/125, typically photographing birds around the house in overcast daylight.

P5110099. [​IMG]

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks. Do you see a significant difference between the two IBIS systems? I'm not sure I've seen any comments by someone who uses both in the real world.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep

7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    My subjective assessment is that the E-m5's 5 axis is much better at slower shutter speeds, but I haven't done any extensive comparisons. Have you read Tyson Robichaud's blog? He did an extensive test of his e-m5 and gx-7 and he caused a furor because he claimed he saw equal/better results from the gx-7.

As far as I am concerned, they are both great cameras. I just naturally favor the e-m5 with my long zooms because I like the handling much better than with the GX7, especially when using the hld6 grip and battery. That said, I use the gx -7 a lot with the Panasonic 14-140, which is also a big lens by m43 standards, and have no issues. I also always got great results on my older digital pens with only 3-axis IBIS (E-p1, Ep2, E-pl1 and e-pl3) and an older 4/3 70-300 with an m43 adapter, a much heavier combo.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry to be dense, but can you amplify? "Axis?"

ReTyson Robichaud's blog, I do remember reading it though had forgotten.

Re grip, yes I think I would do the same if I had both bodies. I am mostly a travel photographer, so compactness is very important and my sole cameras are a pair of GX7s. But the GX7's grip, while not horrible, is one of its weaknesses.

10. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Axis refers to the direction of movement of the camera body. See below from the olympus site showing the 5 axes that the E-M5's IBIS is designed to counteract:

image290.

For the 2-axis IBIS on the GX7 and the older Pen, the IBIS only corrected for pitch (e.g., lens and body tilting up and down) and yaw (body rotating left and right). These are shown as 1 and 2 on the image above. I think the 3-axis IBIS on the E-M10 corrects for roll as well (no.3).

Hope this helps.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks. I understand all that. What I didn't understand was your sentence, because I missed the "5" in front of "axis." Sloppy reading. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1