1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 75-300 or Pany 100-300 on OMD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ig7, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Debating between the two lenses on OMD and I was wondering if fellow OMD owners would recommend one over the other.

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I found it really hard to decide between these two lenses.
    Liked the f5.6 on the panny,It is larger and has IS so if you ever swap to a panny body you are right to go.

Oly starts at 75 which is nice and is smaller and lighter but doesn't come with a lens hood.

I went with the oly as I managed to get one at a good price - the olympus is cheaper in australia than the panasonic.

Good luck with your decision.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There's a huge but informative thread in this forum on the 100-300 lens that I think has a good bit of comparative discussion. Personally, I think the 100-300 is the clear choice :biggrin: but I think the objective version is that they both have a lot of well-pleased users. The clearest distinction is the OIS in the Panasonic lens, which wouldn't be a factor if you were only going to use it on Oly bodies with IBIS.

4. rustyxpress

rustyxpress New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
    i have a 100-300 and it's a little bit disproportionate on the GX1, but then again, as long as I can get the shot :)

5. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Pretty Simple

If you shoot with the Oly and IBIS, get the 75-300. If you shoot Panny, get the 100-300. I think the two lenses perform in a similar manner from what I read.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks for the links (I've read most of them). I too am mulling this decision, and still have a few questions.

According to Ming Thien, who reviewed the 100-300mm, ". . . by far the biggest gotcha of the whole setup is that the lens is physically large and not well balanced at all, especially on the smaller M4/3 bodies; even the OM-D requires a grip for optimal handling. Given this, the omission of a tripod collar is unforgiveable; you simply can’t mount it on the body’s tripod socket because it not only places a large amount of stress on the mount, but it’s also impossible to frame precisely especially at 300mm, because the image frame droops perceptibly through the viewfinder. This means you’ve got to shoot it handheld; here, the relatively light weight of the whole system works against you, because there isn’t enough mass to damp the vibration."

Yikes! Has anyone else found this to be true ("frame droops perceptibly through the VF")?!? Another question would be, has anyone found an aftermarket tripod collar that would work with either of these lenses?

Does the smaller size and weight of the 75-300mm mitigate this problem?

Finally, one more question: I'm most interested in IQ at the long end, and at infinity. All of the reviews seem to test 300mm at close distances, but often there's quite a large difference in sharpness depending on the distance to subject. Has anyone either tested these against each other under these conditions, or can point me to a reviewer who has?

Thanks!

8. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am in the same boat as you. Cannot make up my mind. I think I am overanalyzing it

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sharpness at 300mm
    I have a 100-300 and quite like it but it's not massively sharp at 300 - just like most consumer zooms. However, it OK to about 200-250 which is an equiv FOV to 400-500 on FF so I can live with it. I've not done explicit comparisons at infinity vs nearer distances, but I haven't noticed the distance to subject as being a factor in my perceived satisfaction with IQ.

Tripod ring
    Regarding the tripod ring - if you're going to hand-hold, then the lack of a tripod mount on the lens is not an issue of course. With IBIS or OIS, handholding in good light is just fine and it's how I use mine exclusively. I don't find the lack of weight an issue regarding damping.

If you want to tripod mount then I agree that a ring is more or less essential if only because trying to set the inclination would be very difficult due to springiness/backlash in the tripod head. I think this is what Ming Thien meant - the lens mount on the camera is plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the lens (it's not an 800mm f5.6 L for goodness sake!). Even if you get the angle of dangle right, the tension in the tripod will mean that slight vibration would be amplified during the shot. So yes - you need a ring to do it properly.

Personally, I think the size/weight of the 100-300 on the OMD (esp with the grip) is not an issue. I used a 5dii with a 100-400 for a couple of years and that is much more cumbersome than the OMD/100-300 combo.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have not had the problems MT reports. There is a very economical collar available, see my post below. I find it useful even without a tripod or monopod because it gives me a stable, non-moving, flat surface to brace against whatever is handy (rail, seating, post, whatever chance provides).

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ive used the panny for moon shots and its pretty crisp ( see my flickr page, the most recent one is the sharpest since i was away from buildings and trees etc.

However, the lens struggles to focus at 300mm for grounded objects during the day, and the quality is nothing to write home about. This is mostly due to waves in the atmosphere throwinf the focus off....im not sure how the Oly behaves

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Oly behaves the same way. The photographer just needs to select closer subjects.

Distant subject across the bay.
    p1574946688-5.

Closer subject at the end of a pier.
    p1531413558-5.

A much closer subject.

p1820705322-5.

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks guys for all the responses! I love this forum.

I think I'm going to try and find a used Oly 75-300 II eventually. Looks like IQ is similar, and the deciding factor is size/weight since I have IS on the OMD. I suspect that in 6 months used prices will be really similar, so that shouldn't be much of a factor.

(Right now the 75-300 new is about $500, while used 100-300mm's go for at least $400.)

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I have a different definition of economical than you do - Paying ~$100 for a tripod collar on a lens that I spent much less than that on doesn't meet my definition. I just bought this on ebay - I should note that I am going to need to fill in the ring with some sort of gasket, using either rubber, or cork, or felt, or some combination of the above to make it fit snugly for my application, which is on a 2X teleconverter that has between a 61mm and 62mm diameter, whereas this collar has a 65mm inner diameter. Others are available on ebay with inner diameters up to about 70mm:

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon EF 200mm F2 8 300mm F4 400mm F5 6 80 200mm F2 8 | eBay

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thanks for the link . . . I was wondering about that too. For filling in the space, you might want to look at cork tape, the kind they sell for wrapping fishing rods; e.g., Cork Tape (Per Foot) | mudhole.com

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I was contemplating - either that, or some sort of adhesive-backed rubber gasket tape.

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Post pics and show us how it works when you've got it set up.

18. Troiks

Troiks Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Australia
    Andrew
    About to decide

Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance but how much of an advantage is the faster aperture on the panny? I will be using the lens on an inside passage cruise in Alaska and my understanding is that the benefit will be a lower ISO.

Cheers

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    And, at least in theory, improved focusing time, particularly at the longer end as the maximum aperture values of the two lenses drop (the Panasonic is faster than the Olympus at its long end).

20. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Turbulent air is not a problem of the lens, it is a problem of distance; no lens will be better at this than any other lens.