Oly 75-300 II on E-PL5

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Has anyone tried this combination?

I'm not sure my E-PL5 would be steady enough, particularly at the longer end.

Any knowledge gratefully received.

Qiou87

Mu-43 Regular
Agreed. Got this lens and use it on the EM5, it's OK to hold but you really need to hold the lens with your left hand to be stable. I haven't tried it on my E-PL3, similar in size to your E-PL5, but I figure it would be the same. It would remain stable as long as you support the lens (which will amount for most of the weight anyway).

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Agreed. Got this lens and use it on the EM5, it's OK to hold but you really need to hold the lens with your left hand to be stable. I haven't tried it on my E-PL3, similar in size to your E-PL5, but I figure it would be the same. It would remain stable as long as you support the lens (which will amount for most of the weight anyway).

Got it - thanks. Although I guess it would be better for you with your E-M5. Think I might upgrade when the E-P6 comes out later this year as rumoured, which will surely have the same 5 axis stabilization. Seems to me I'll need something a bit beefier than my E-PL5 to work with this lens.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend

I'm not sure my E-PL5 would be steady enough, particularly at the longer end.

Any knowledge gratefully received.

I use it regularly on mine.
Is it a bit unbalanced? - Yes (but you knew that already)

Bottom Line For Me = No issues :smile:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/32299138@N08/8979535891/in/photolist-eFutbk-ehLCjj-ehXhzN-dsTEoh-f38rJ5-ekD2pH-ekZYvV-m7WT5K-ePp92r/player/" width="1024" height="680" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
I find that I like the longer lenses like this on my E-M5 as the viewfinder gives me another stabilization point. However if I didn't have the E-M5 I'd still use the lens. It's a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Qiou87

Mu-43 Regular
Indeed, good point from rfortson. Having the EVF is a big help to stabilize the longer lenses. The 5-axis on my OM-D can have trouble stabilizing completely when I'm composing, so I can only guess it would be way worse if I weren't holding the camera to my eye.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I never understand the hoopla about 'is this lens too big for camera x'; its about technique. You hold the lens if it's this size and heft, not the body, no different for a DSLR. The EVF does provide significantly more stable shooting for long glass, however, which is a big issue. This isn't because the lens is unbalanced; it would probably be worse if the lens was smaller and had the same focal length.

ErnieH

Mu-43 Rookie
I regularly use the Oly 75-300 II on my E-PL5 for wildlife. It is large and somewhat unbalanced on the small E-PL5 body but nothing you can't get used to. I need to move so rarely use a tripod. I set it to shutter priority at 500 and above and use anything available to steady the shot. I also use the VF-3 viewfinder. Needs plenty of light but the results are quite good.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Learn a good shooting position and you have less problems, way less problems with ANY camera.

Elbows to ribs tightly, slight front lean, support camera to forehead (use finder) and then control breaths, long steady breathes and blow air out for few seconds and that is the time you have to trigger camera. With that way you can get even 3-4 second shutter speed with olympus 5-axis IBIS and sharp photos on 150mm tele at least.

And if wanted easy small monopod, use rope what you tighten bottom to camera screw and then other end around foot and set distance so you get it tighten up in correct position mentioned up. Now you have a 6 point support + 5-axis IBIS

rpringle

Mu-43 Regular
I bought this lens used in February and had it on my E-P5. I didn't feel like it was overly out of balance if you supported it with your left hand. I did carry it around on a 10 mile hike one day and it was sort of annoying carrying it around at my side when not shooting. If you want a 300mm equivalent with native M43 the only 3 options are the Olympus 75-300mm, panasonic 100-300mm, and the Tokina 300mm Reflex. The tokina is the smallest but you make alot of sacrifices in that it's a mirror lens with fixed aperture and manual focus only. The 100-300mm is considerably bulkier than the 75-300 but has a half stop advantage. Personally I like the 75-300mm the most because it's smallish and light with very little compromises.

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz

I'm not sure my E-PL5 would be steady enough, particularly at the

Don't have this lens, but thinking it's going to be my next lens purchase. Trying to decide between the 60mm and the 75-300. Obviously, two distinct purposes, but leaning toward the reach. Bigboysdad, one reason I got interested in this lens is because of some fantastic, sharp images posted by Sunil Thokal and Stephen Ingraham on Google+. Sunil, I know, is shooting with the 75-300mm on his E-PL5, though I think Stephen is using an E-M10.

Latest threads

Top Bottom