Oly 60mm macro or extension tubes?

lowlight

Mu-43 Regular
Hi guys!

Looking for some input on extension tubes vs a dedicated macro lens.

I have always admired macro photography and now i want to try it out.

Is extension tubes a "good enough" solution? Will it affect image quality?

I already own the sigma 60mm 2.8 (wich i love) so getting another one with the same focal lenght do not make any sense.
But if the oly is noticeble greater in optical performance and so on, maybe i should consider selling the sigma...

If you are using tubes, with wich lenses?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I've always used either a close-up lens that screws to the front element or extension tubes, and a week ago I order a set of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181275728021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. The 60mm macro is tempting, but I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it compared to extension tubes. The reason I bought this set is because it has shorter tubes than my current EX-25 and so I can use it with my wider angle lenses. Extension tubes can provide greater versatility as you can use them with pretty much any FL lens.

sparkin

Mu-43 Regular
I have some OM-mount tubes and a set of OM bellows, which I use occasionally with an OM-m43 adapter. This works well with old legacy lenses, and you're not limited to OM-mount lenses either (I just happen to have a bunch of them). I also have access to the m43 60mm macro, which is a wonderful little lens - much more portable, but not quite so much fun as the bellows.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
I've always used either a close-up lens that screws to the front element or extension tubes, and a week ago I order a set of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181275728021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. The 60mm macro is tempting, but I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it compared to extension tubes. The reason I bought this set is because it has shorter tubes than my current EX-25 and so I can use it with my wider angle lenses. Extension tubes can provide greater versatility as you can use them with pretty much any FL lens.

Hi Ray
Can you let me know your thoughts on the quality of the Fotga extension tubes when you get them. Have had them and a couple of others on my ebay watch list for a while now. Thanks

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Hi Ray
Can you let me know your thoughts on the quality of the Fotga extension tubes when you get them. Have had them and a couple of others on my ebay watch list for a while now. Thanks

Not a problem, hopefully they'll be here next week, but you never know with Chinese mail.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
May I suggest the extension tube decision should consider your desires for working distance & the other lenses you own when shooting macro.

I have both the Kenko tubes (work fine) & the Pana 45mm macro. (I bought the Pana before the Oly 60 was announced & would buy the Oly today if making the same choice due to AF hunting & significant vignetting @ f2.8 w/ the Pana. It also hot spots w/ IR filters but the Oly may do that too - no reports on this.)

But I use the tubes often w/ the M.Z 40-150 & M.z75-300 when I need magnification w/ greater working distance. This is important for anything small & shy - bugs, dragon flies, frogs & etc.

Short working distances are great when the setting is crowded but makes use of flash harder or casting shadows w/ the camera in natural light as a result.

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both oly 60mm macro and Kenko 26mm extensiontubes.
And if I have the 60mm with me I always prefere that before the extensiontubes, since the tubes limit the fokusing to very close to the lens, and sometimes i find other subjects that is´nt "macro".

And if you have to use low aperturevalue the extensiontubes (atleast on the oly 45mm F1.8) gives quite alot lower quality than the 60mm.

But sometimes i use the extensiontubes with the 60mm also, to get some cm closer to the subject.

The Oly 60mm macro gives great normal and portrait images also, so if it´s possible to you, I would say sell the Sigma and get the Oly, i dont think you will regret it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom