1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 60mm Macro Lens Issue

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, May 22, 2016.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    1-P1130990-001.JPG
    For few days now all my shots are coming out like this, doubled up. I've tried the lens on two cameras and without the achromat and I get the same doubling of the image.

Has anyone run into this before, know what it is?

It looks like an element has shifted out of alignment to me But that's just a guess.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Shutter shock? Try electronic shutter, or electronic first curtain?

3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Are you using helicon focus? Are you stacking your shots?

4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    I don't think so. Nothing changed from one moment to the next except I started getting the double image. This is full flash as I use every time. Never had this issue before with anything.

I have tried the lens on the G1, G6 and G5. All with the same result.

5. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    No, nothing fancy like that. Just the usual settings with full flash which usually gives me sharp images with no issues.

See the first six images here - Macro Illustrated - that's what I usually get.

6. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd call Oly and you may need to send it in for service. I've only seen it when stacking shots. Sorry to hear. Let us know what happens.

7. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    I am dealing with DiscountCameras.com.au A Aussie company with a good rep as far as I know. They are related to michaels Camera Video Digital, Melbourne Australia who have been in the business since 1916 and according to Whirlpool - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1864204 and my experience so far are an ethically run business.

I'll post here at least what happens.

8. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Awesome! And good luck.

9. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
  10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hope you get it fixed, Mark, can't wait for your next thread ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It might be a stuck aperture blade. If you look through it, it might be noticeable if permanently stuck closed or on the other, one of blades might be stuck open while the others close during exposure.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    That looks like it. One blade actually looks broken/torn on one side that prevents it from opening properly, with some grease or oil around the site. Trying to set aperture while looking into lens I see nothing changes, then if I just move the lens the blades try to open and close, as if trying to execute instruction it can't fulfil. Make sense to you?

13. Ross the fiddler

Yes, it certainly does so I hope you are able to change the lens over because I doubt that would be a 5 minute repair. :shakehead:
    I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem & hopefully it can be sorted quickly for you.

14. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Ross. I'm just waiting to hear back from DiscountCameras.com.au

Will update here with the latest - those threads that start and never finish are just rude. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ross the fiddler

Yes, please let us know the outcome. :thiagree:

16. soliony

soliony Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    Well, I certainly hope you get the problem solved quickly. I hate to think of the shots you're missing. That link you provided is fantastic -- superb shots. A real pity if you're missing out on things like that now. do you have a macro backup?

17. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    It's winter here now so not really missing anything, and I have a number of lesser alternatives for those I do search out. Latest is here - Treasure … - the 45-175 could do with better diffusion.

The lens is at on way to Oly now, through DiscountCameras (in Oz) who were good enough to send me a free shipping label unexpectedly.

18. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Hi guys. I haven't reread this thread so am not replying to anyone in particular here. If anyone has particular questions just ask.

Discountcameras (Oz company) were very good. Almost immediately they sent me a shipping label and I got the lens off to them. They sent it to Olympus. I got the lens back a few days ago and it appears to be working good as new.

I haven't been able to get any information on the repair itself. Namely : What exactly was the repair (to aperture blades/mechanism?), is it a common issue with the Oly 60/f2.8 macro lens, and is the repair guaranteed independent of the warranty period?

Discount.... haven't replied to the questions, probably a matter of policy not to get bogged in particular minor (to them) issues. Otherwise they have been a paragon of service.

So I have just sent an email to the Oly repair centre and I'm waiting for a reply from them. It would be useful to hear back from them and I will update when/if they do.

19. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    This from the repair centre this morning. For anyone still looking or who might care -

"Hi Mark,

Thank you for your email. The technician has replaced the barrel base
    which includes the optic in the unit for the lens and re-calibrate the
    settings. Your lens comes with 2 years warranty."

I can only assume the barrel base includes the aperture mechanism, because the blades were obviously damaged. One significance though, others claim there is only a 1yr warranty on the lens - I trust I won't need it.

Anyway, show over it seems. I don't think I'm going to get any more information.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Ross the fiddler

It's good to know all is well now then.