Oly 60mm/2.8 Macro: ISO question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Starred, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    It seems that whenever I use the Oly 60mm Macro, the ISO increases very fast, at least faster than I am used to with other lenses.
    E.g. when I shot a flower in my livingroom this morning with the 60 on f/2.8 the shuttertime was 125 and ISO 2000. When I did a similar (about similar distance) shot with the Oly 45 on f2.8 the shuttertime was 100 and the ISO 800. When I repeated this with the Oly 14-150 on 60mm and f5.4 the shuttertim was also 125 and ISO was 2000.

Does this have got something to do with the fact that it is a macro lens?

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The closer you get to a subject, effective aperture increases even if the camera isn't reporting it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes. As a macro lens approaches it's minimum focusing distance the lens group begins to move further away from the sensor, the same as if you had attached a set of extension tubes to a normal lens. This reduces the light transmission to the sensor, such that an f/2.8 lens like the Oly 60mm will have an effective maximum aperture value of approx f/5.6 at 1:1 magnification.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.