1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 60 mm macro red dots in pics

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kalifornier, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a used Oly 60 mm from B & H. After taking some random test shots, I noticed few red dots in bunch of the pictures. I am attaching one example (bottom inside the black circle). Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or is the lens defective?

Many Thanks for your comments/feedback.

Abhi P6030523.JPG

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am assuming this is a jpeg image. Did you shoot any raw images to see if they were present? And, did you try to remap the pixels on your camera? They look like hot pixels, and these are usually mapped out in raw images. Unfortunatley, they do appear in jpegs. I could be wrong, but it is easy to check, and remapping does not hurt anything. Then again, it could be a bit of flare. Do you have any other samples?

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, these are stuck pixels and you can just map them out without any concern.

These can easily be fixed on post process if there's an image that you want to otherwise keep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Thank you, both. Ken, unfortunately I didn't shoot in raw this time. But seems the problem is not as big as I originally thought.

5. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    On a side note, I had a similar issue with Oly 17/1.8. I got this blue comet like flare in some of my pics during a balloon ride. Now it could be just flare but I also noticed a tiny pinhole size mark on the front of the lens (new) so wasn't sure if it had anything to do with it. Thanks again. P9160565-001.JPG