1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

@&^#$% Oly 45mm trim ring

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WJW59, Oct 29, 2011.

1. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I recent received my 45mm and I've tested it out a couple of times including today. The one thing I didn't like was the front trim ring as it made me nervous and I hated the design of it. Well, second time out with it I managed to lose it. I'm sure it got partially undone during a lens change and fell off sometime during the1 1/2 hours I was out today. I foresee a big market in chinese knock-off replacements......

Olympus would have been better off going with a traditional design and forgetting the bayonet mount hood. I realize this would have killed a potential profit center, but would certainly been more in line with the design of the lens. If I ever buy a replacement, I'm going to put a little Elmer's glue on it a and use a screw on hood.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is what I do with many slip-on accessories which come too loose (ie, viewfinder eyecupd, hotshoe accessories, etc.)... a thin strip of electrical tape on the tracks. This fixes a myriad of loose accessories but does it in a way which is non-destructive and still allows normal removal, unlike glue.

I have no experience with these trim rings though, that's just a general fix which may help. ;)

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    After reading your experience, I promptly removed the trim ring and put it away in the lens box. Judging by the amount of money Olympus charges for the lens hood, the cost of a replacement trim ring scares me.

4. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I can't of a less permanent fix than Elmer's glue. :biggrin:

The trim ring covers the bayonet mount for the lens hood so when a hood is NOT used, it gives the lens body smooth lines to the end. I like the way the lens looks with the ring mounted and it didn't seem to be loose but I didn't remove it deliberately. I noticed it was gone when I went to put things away. Since I swapped between the 17 and 45 a couple of times and it didn't come off while I was swapping lenses, I can only assume I loosened it during a swap and it fell off while I was walking around. Given I wasn't planning on using the (currently unavailable) bayonet hood, I should have fixed it before I used the lens.

BTW, if anyone wants to know what part I'm talking about, look at the photos on the Amazon page (here). In the first pic, the trim rim is the top silver portion that starts at the thin black line above the blue line. The second pic show the ring removed and the Oly hood attached.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I've seen a set of three replacement rings for sale on eBay, black,silver,and white. I think seller is ace of bicycles, and he has the hood available as well.

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Do you really NEED to replace the trim ring? So your lens doesn't look as "smooth" as it did before... is that really important? What's done is done, the lens is still fully functional. Enjoy the images it provides and leave it at that (life is too short to worry about unimportant things). Don't get me wrong - I know it sucks to lose it, especially if you liked the look of the lens with the trim ring in place, but... if you think the going price for a replacement ring is too steep, why not just live with it?

7. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Agreed. Spend the money on the hood instead. You'll get better images that way.

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I have the hood, instead, but trust me, you are going to loose that hood as easy as the ring. Olympus did lousy job with that ;-)

I fully understand your "form over function" thoughts though. I'm with Ned. I'm going to use tape ;-)

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish they just made the 45 1.8 matte black. That faux chrome sucks. It scratches easily.

Don't use electric tape. The adhesive can eventually ruin paint finishes on cameras. Gaffer tape is safer to use.

10. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    The irony is that this lens (and the 12mm) is so hard to mount/dismount from the body. I suppose this way, at least the lens won't fall off. :smile:

11. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    Automotive pinstripe tape works well for this kind of modification. I recommend the 3M brand, its very flexible and has a good adhesive. Its thin and flexible enough to follow and fill contours nicely. I use .25" black pinstripe on many of my Nikon lenses where a lens shade may not snug up as much as I'd like. My AF-S 80-200 f2.8 and the original 70-200 VR were notorious for this and replacement hoods are damned expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    But that "patina" gives it character, or so my wife tells me. :rolleyes:

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's just such a contrast when you handle a metal lens like the 12mm f/2, going back to the 45's plastic barrel is sort of a letdown! Honestly I wish all lenses were built like the 12mm. It's such a joy to handle!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Mine pinged off as I pulled it out of a bag on the first day I took the new lens out, which was a surprise as I didn't even know it was removable.

15. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    That was why I said "if I ever replace it." But I am irritated by the design and implementation of the front end of the 45mm by Olympus. I would have preferred they either forgo the bayonet style hood in favor of a screw in hood OR design it so it OK looking without the mount being covered. The design strikes me as being Yakuza-inspired to squeeze out extra sales of replacement rings. The exterior must have been designed by Cayman Islands design firm that has closed since it received a huge payment for the exterior design........

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

16. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie

mine fell off too, fortunately for me i happened to look down near my car door and there it was. i didn't even know it could come off. i make sure i screw it on tight and check it from time to time. sorry.

17. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It does come off a little easily doesn't it? Mine came off for the first time yesterday, and like some of you, I didn't even know it existed! Its a nice idea I suppose, giving a clean look even when you're not using a hood.

18. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Just got my 45mm lens today, and out of the box the ring was not screwed to the locked position, so it was just floating. This might explain the loss of the ring by some folks.

So if you haven't already, if you still have your chrome ring, give it a clockwise turn to make sure its securely fastened. Or sort-of-securely fastened, because the detent is pretty weak, which is another possible explanation for the loss of the chrome ring.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wish they were all built like the OM primes. :) What an incredible joy to handle.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In principle I agree. The fit and finish of a 1960s Nikkor or Zuiko lens is simply amazing compared to the current polycarbonate stuff.

In practice though, those lenses were fairly hefty. Metal looks and feels nice, but it weighs.

The one thing that I really dislike about the kit lens on all E-PM1 is the plastic bayonet mount. Lightweight is no excuse for cheap and flimsy.

DH