1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45mm f1.8 on E-PL2: how fast?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Apr 25, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Since most probably this will be the next lens I get for my E-PL2, I'd like your opinion on how the AF fairs on this body.

I've seen videos on youtube where the 45mm was very fast on the E-P3 and new bodies in general, but much slower on something like the E-P2. I understand it's optimized for the newer cameras. Nevertheless, is a firmware update the solution? (my E-PL2 has the latest firmware installed already).

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I have been using this lens on my EPL2 for the last 6 months and I can tell u it's quite fast actually . I have had EPL3 for a while there isn't much of difference .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks mate! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    What other lenses do you have to compare it to? I have both the Oly 45mm 1.8 and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 on a E-P2 and the Oly 45mm is quite speedy compared to my 20mm.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Since I only use the E-PL2 with the kit lens (14-42) and adapted OM lenses, I can't compare with other primes. I'd certainly like it to be quicker than the kit lens for sure.

6. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I had the kit lens shortly with the e-pl1(not sure if it's the exact same lens or if they updated it) and the Oly 45mm would definitely blow it out of the water. I use to shoot with a DSLR and while the Oly 45mm and my e-p2 combo isn't quite as fast as my DSLR, it is fast enough for my needs. You might not be able to use autofocus for shooting any sort of race but it can differently take some snappy street shots with moving subjects.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I leave the 20mm on my E-P1 and keep the 45mm on my E-PL2. It is plenty fast for me, but I rarely shoot sports or fast moving objects. I really like the combo.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No problems with it on my E-PL2 either :smile:

9. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    On my E-PL2, the 45mm AF speed is just about right. But it's enough for my shooting needs (streets).

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thank you all for the answers! :smile:

My kit lens is the newer (faster?) one and has the latest firmware. It's ok for decent lighting conditions, of course nowhere as fast as my Canon's AF. But I too use the Pen for Street. My reservations stem from what I've read about the latest lenses being optimized for the E-P3/E-PL3 really. There is some video on youtube also which displays this:

Olympus 45mm f1.8 Video Preview at The Phoblographer - YouTube

11. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    -If you're happy with your EPL2 (as I am):
    it's fast, faster than 20mm 1.7, awesome if you do portraits, street photography...I'm not sure if it's good for sport, it's not my genre.

-If you need a reason to change to a new body:
    It's slow, useless on your body. You wouldn't make a good shot of a snail or a turtle. Definitely better on ep3 or omd! :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    :biggrin:

Hahaha, no, I'm not looking to change to a new body.

I want to invest in a couple good lenses since -at some point- I will go to a new m43 body, be that the OM-D, a future Pen or a future Panasonic camera. But until then I wanted to know if performance will be good on my current camera.

13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to try if the 45 is faster than our kit lens, I'll let you know. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thank you! :smile:

15. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Small test in my bedroom, distant (3-4 meters ) object to near (1 meter and less).

Tested the 20 1,7 - 14.42 II 3,5 5,6 - 45 1,8

Just one source of light, this numbers are in low light situation.

Every lens, focusing from 'near' to 'far' objects used 1 second of focus time. The 20mm being the faster (I know, sounds strange) and the other on par (45 slightly slower than the zoom).
    The long time is just for moving from different focusing distances.

Focusing near the actual point (20 cm more distant at 4 meters from the first subject) changed the speed: the 45 was faster (as in less hunt, maybe for the more light helping the af) and the zoom was the slower.

• Like Like x 1
  16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Grazie fratello! :smile:

Hmmmm, if the 45mm is (most of the time) slower than the kit lens, then there might be a problem there... Did you test it with the latest Olympus firmware? I wonder how much is down to this, or actual camera body. :confused:

17. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Everything upgraded to the latest firmare :) the lens is slower only is changing a lot the focusing point (from very near to far), I don't do that a lot. If the focus point is near, while lower speed in autofocusing, it's the fastest at locking focus: the others i tried tends to hunt a little (the zoom more than the 20mm) before they give focus confirm.
    Keep in mind, that's my test, i suppose lenses can be different, and my test was done in poor lightning.

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks! I see; trouble is there is no way testing this lens for myself, except if I take advantage of some money-back deal. This is why I'm so persistent in asking about other user's experience, and excuse me for that...

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's not quite how it works. The newer bodies are faster at AF due to 2 things - faster processing in the camera, and faster readout from the sensor. The reason why older lenses have not seen as much speedup is that they require more movement to focus (the 20/1.7 and 17/2.8 both move much of the lens when focusing, instead of just a few lightweight elements, the 14-42mk1 rotates the front element, and so on).

DH

• Like Like x 1