Oly 45mm f/1.8 Review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ctein has posted a review of the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens on The Online Photographer site (he's a regular contributor):

The Online Photographer: Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens: Review

Toward the end, he refers to a review he plans for the Oly 12mm f/2.0... and I suspect (based on that and some posts he's made on this site) that he may not be in love with that lens.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with every word of his Oly 45/1.8 review. Simply an outstanding lens. I'm also looking forward to the Oly 12/2 review. It doesn't sound like it's going to be positive, but either way it will be interesting!

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That does it. 45 is now on the way. Guess I'll be giving the 12 a miss...

DH

4. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    God I want this lens.

Too bad demand > supply.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the Oly 45 as well and it's just a lovely lens. At the price you can't go wrong.

6. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Got mine today

and it is wonderful.

The lens is everything you've heard/ read. Including that it 'searches' a bit to find focus (at least n my EP1).

For any UK members in the market for one of these beauties I whole heartedly recommend SRS Microsystems for a reasonable price and excellent service. This is the second time I've used them for lenses and they'll be my first choice in the future.

Cheers,

QBI

7. Cameraworld in London have the lens, GBP 245, which is US$386. You could be using it this weekend!

8. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    tempted, so very tempted!

I do feel that spending cash on myself with xmas coming up is selfish!

But then again....:biggrin:

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Just remember, Jay... if you're not happy, how can you make anyone else happy? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    so..whats your opinion here.. I just picked up the Oly 45 on Amazon, but right after i got a good deal on a PL45 and I pulled the trigger because I wanted the macro feature. I don't need a $400 lens lying around, but am wondering if I keep it or not. They are on back order at B&H and Oly seems to be having some issues?? So do I sell it for $450 or $500 in two months?

11. Based on just one possibly bad review in amongst many other overwhelmingly positive reviews?

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Why? Because someone else doesn't like it (i.e. one guy)? I think that would be a mistake, since so many others have reviewed it and love the lens.

13. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I ordered from SRS on Thursday and it was out of stock...

I've cancelled the order and ordered from uk digital (after some googling as i hadn't used them before) for the same price. It'll be with me on Monday (I hope).

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think I should get it as soon as possible.But it keeps on getting out of stock at B&H and I don't wanna buy from anywhere else.

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks like this is one of those lenses where the performance is great and the price reasonable. If I stay with M4/3, this will likely be my next lens buy.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, based on dubious comments from two reviewers whose judgment I trust a lot more than a bunch of random folks.

First, look at photozone's review. The lens is outpaced by the Panasonic 14-45 and 7-14 in the 12-14mm area. Couple that with Ctein's lukewarm comments, and I think I'll pass up the opportunity to drop $800 on that lens. $800 is a lot of money for a lens that is apparently no sharper than a decent kit lens at normal working apertures.

DH

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    From what I can tell, the 12 seems like a fine lens. For my uses though, I don't see it as significantly better than the Pana 14, which of course is considerably less expensive.

18. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    For what it's worth, I had no problems ordering my GF3 from UK digital. Good fast service and a good price.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Always nice to hear!

Lots of positive reviews from their amazon selling, and the guy on the phone was helpful.. Fingers crossed!