Oly 45mm f/1.8 on Oly vs Pany body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sprinke, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Howdy folks,

I've only got one :43: body, the GH2, so I can't do this comparison myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any differences in the performance of the Oly 45mm on bodies made by Olympus versus Panasonic?

2. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    Bump, this thread is relevant to my interest...

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely IBIS makes a difference. I usually had to adhere to the rule of shutter speed=focal length, but on an Olympus, you could shoot at 1/60th and lower with no image blur. Not so much on a Pany body. Though the newer 16mp sensor allows you to shoot higher ISOs. Bottom line is Olympus needs a new sensor!

4. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Well it sucks crap for me when it cannot focus on the Gh2 and gf1. Let me know if you encounter this problem. Kind of happens randomly.

I am still in talks with Olympus rep and all just keeps on saying is the body's fault. I contacted panasonic but no reply yet.

I think I'm out of luck.

5. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    doesn't bode well for my panny gf1 :(

unless your predicament is the exception rather than the rule.

6. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    No problems on my GF1, seems to focus faster than my E-P2!

7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    what is the likely hood they will release some firmware to this.... slim to none i think.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    except my oly 45/1.8 focuses fine on my G3 and GF1. yours might be a dud? is there a specific condition you can pinpoint so others can try?

9. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Ok... here are my conditions:

1. About 7 - 10 Celsius condition, but then I sometimes got this problem at home too.

2. Keep trying to focus on far away objects like landscapes and trees, then focus back near objects.

3. If it cannot focus (red box) on a far away object, try 3-4 times at the same spot.

4. After this, it can no longer focus anything far away.

10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010

Ok... I just tried it indoor.
    1. Environment is lightly dim... the lighting is like shooting at 1/30 shutter speed at f1.8.

2. try to focus on a white wall.... do it a few times if it cannot focus, focus on something else and back on the white wall.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well, duh. You could probably manually focus faster than the EP1 and EP2.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There has to be some contrast for it to focus at all. If you regularly take photos of blank white walls in low light, you probably need to look elsewhere for a camera that meets your AF needs.

13. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    No I'm not constantly trying to shoot a white wall, but this triggers it to be unable to focus permanently even on stuff it can focus before. Again, it happens outdoor too.

14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Just sell it and move on, you'll be happy then!:biggrin:

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    since i'm home and it's pitch black out, can't do landscape. best i can do is, dim room, iso 100 I get like 1/2 second, iso 400 to get 1/40ish. at arms length, focused on white foam, it couldn't of course (filled frame). then pointed it to something of similar distance, as well as maybe 15ft away. both instances it focused fine for me. I would go back to the foam to force a failure.

This was with my GF1. Center point focus.

16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm actually wondering if anyone has noticed any significant differences in sharpness as a result of Pany not having the in-body stabilization.

17. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Well actually the E-P2 is quite fast with some lenses. For example the mk2 kit lens, the 9-18mm and the 40-150mm. The 45mm is a bit slower than these lenses on the E-P2. Not so on the GF1

18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    The focusing speed on my e-p2 seems to be mostly dependent on the lens I'm using. It's slow with the 14-42, but snaps to with the 9-18 or 17. I couldn't believe the difference with the 9-18, even.