oly 45mm 1.8 or sigma 30m1.4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by genesimmons, Mar 19, 2017.

1. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2017
    hi all, i realized i need a prime for indoor events, i have narrowed down my choices to these too, any one have both or tried both and have any comments advising one or the other, i am leaning towards the sigma, its not much more expensive than the 45 where i live, it looks to be a much larger lens, i am ok with that, is the small aperture difference a deal breaker,

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    For me the difference comes down to the focal length as well as the widest aperture. I have used the 45 for indoor martials arts (in conjunction with the 25/1.8) and I am seriously considering getting the 30/1.4 before my next such event in June as single lens solution. The extra 1/3 stop of light will not hurt. Unless someone tells me that the Sigma cannot shoot at high FPS. If you care about Pro-capture on the E-M1mkII, the Olympus is clearly preferable.

3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I own both - they are both good, great in fact. For indoor events I'd choose the wider focal length - depending on the space, even 30mm may be too tight unless you are shooting individuals.

However, if you are choosing between the two for an all round lens, the sigma is your best bet, and it's never out of my camera bag whereas I only use the 45 when I have a portrait session with space.

Note you will have to correct chromatic aberrations if you shoot in bright light and at wide apertures with the sigma. It's not difficult to do in post, but it is necessary.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Simon, would it be possible for you to test the frame rate in Seq-Hi if you have an E-M1 (I seem to recall you do)? Also, how bad is the CA for shooting wide open indoors.

5. ionian

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Frame rate - using continuous high, in both raw and fine jpg, I got 5 frames per second. This was shooting a clock with a second hand.

I really hoped to show you some examples of the CA but the only recent shots I have are for other people and I've only saved the final edit. Shooting into bright light down to f1.8, you will get purple fringing - not disgusting but noticeable. You will also see it on specular highlights. The example I wanted to show you was of a portrait of a guy in a leather jacket - the chrome zips all had purple fringing where the light was brightest.

I can try to recreate it tomorrow if it's useful, but I can assure you it's easy to correct. I use Lightroom, remove the purple fringe and then (if any remains) I remove it with a desaturation brush.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    thank u for the tips, please post the issues u are mentioning, is there a huge weight difference in the 2 lenses, size looks like a big difference, u mentioned only 5 fps in high continuous,that seems very low, will this lens not shoot in 18fps low continuous or even the 60fps in high speed, i didn't know certain lenses wouldnt work in all modes

7. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That is a little disappointing. I was hoping it would hit 7-8 fps. The CA sounds like it should be fixable, but I would appreciate it if you could post some samples.

The lens focus motor and aperture blade mechanism have to be fast enough to support the full spec'ced frame rate. There was a thread discussing which lenses would support full frame rates on the E-M1mkII, but I could not find it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ahhh i see, thank u for that info, i was just about to pull the trigger on the 30mm sigma, i will have to find out if it can at least do half of what the camera is capable of, i dont need 60fps or even the 18fps in low but half that would be about as low as i would like to see, i want this lens for indoor sports, i will search for that thread, that sounds like something i should read,thanx

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go with the 45mm. The 30mm is good and sharp, but the CA is pretty bad and doesn't go away until about f/2 which kind of defeats the purpose of owning a fast prime!

10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Vote for the 45mm due to small and compactness

11. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Here is the thread I was thinking about: Olympus E- M1 Mark II -- list of lenses for maximim AF accuracy at max burst speed

Also remember that Simon is talking about the fps on the original E-M1, we don't know what it will do on your E-M11mkII. For reference, shot wide open my 45/1.8 will give 10.5fps. I am also looking at this lens for indoor sports (which is why I recommended that you look at it in the first place). Both my O25/1.8 and O45/1.8 have no issues with Seq-Hi speeds on my E-M1 and I imagine that they will do fine on the markII as well.

Now, I am beginning to worry that the CA on the 30/1.4 may also be an major issue. I would like to see Simon's samples to understand if I can clean them up in batch mode. It would be a pain if one has to do that individually with the 100s of photos which come out of these sports events.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    thanx for finding that thread, the images i see from the sigma thread on here look great, not many mentions of ca with this lens in that thread. yes i would be using it for sports to was hoping to make a lens profile for it to take care if it had noticeable issues in lightroom.

13. ionian

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Some examples of CA with the sigma 30mm f1.4 below. Note that I use the lens as a candid and portrait lens, so my usage is very different to @genesimmons@genesimmons and @SVQuant@SVQuant intent as a sports prime.

All are SOOC jpeg on the EM1 wide open at f1.4, natural profile and saturation -1 which are my standard walk-around settings. The jpegs will already have some cirrections applied - expect RAW to need more correction. Excuse the quality of subject and focus - I wasn't going for high art ;)

The worst case is here: a blown backlight leads to big purple fringing. This was shot with spot metering and whilst you will probably never have a case the severe in real use, it shows what to avoid.

IMG_4169.JPG

A small specular height in the knife itself leads to some purple fringing around the edge of the blade and handle. It's tiny and easily correctable - but again, remember this will already have had some corrections applied in the jpg engine.

IMG_4172.JPG

I'm not sure if you are shooting RAW for sports - my instinct would be to shoot jpeg on assignment as much as possible for ease of processing and speed of turn-around of images - but I am not a sports photographer, you may have a very different approach.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks for posting these. There are often odd highlights in indoor sports due to where the lights are placed. I am not sure how bad the CA may be, but it appears that it should be correctable most of the time.

I'm not a pro, just a dad shooting events his kids participate in. So my workflow is probably inefficient. I shoot RAW+JPEG as I do for everything else. The relevant kid gets to go through and pick the images they want to keep and mark the ones which are obviously bad. Then I go through and identify the ones I would like to work on. These I develop from RAW. For the rest of the keepers, I use a batch develop if I find consistent WB/Exposure issues in the images I worked on. Otherwise, OOC jpegs are fine.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have both, and both are good but depends on what you want to use them for. The Sigma is significantly larger, but then again any lens is huge compared to the tiny Olympus. The Sigma displays severe CA however. It needed heavy correction in post.

16. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    For many applications, simply permanently affixing a 2A filter (Tiffen makes one) to the Sigma 30/1.4 cuts the purple fringing to manageable levels, even wide open. It's what I do with mine. If 1.4 for low light is desired though, that is going to cost some transmission loss. You can take it off if you happen to shoot something that's actually violet, but it's not a common color in nature.

I have both and (by far) prefer the Sigma over the Oly, but that's mostly due to what angle of view works for me.

• Useful Useful x 3
  17. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Also, I just put them both on my EM-1 mk2, continuous high mechanical shutter, and held it down while looking at my phone stopwatch.

I got 16 frames/second from both, give or take 1 fps since I only counted one second each, and they weren't perfectly in synch with the clock.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. 808N8

808N8 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Hawaii
    Personally, I found the 45mm was often too tight for smaller indoor use (e.g. home), but too short for larger indoor use (e.g. music performances).
    I still liked it, and it was good in its own right for certain uses. Anyhow as others have mentioned though, 30mm would probably be better for the angle of view.
    But it's hard to say since we don't know your shooting situation (location/venue/and your style) as well as you do.

19. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    awsome info, thanx so much john, i am going to grabthe sigma, i am also looking at the oly 1.8 fisheye i am gonna see if my cam shop will give me package deal, thanx for doing the speed test, 16ish fps is good for what i want to use it for,