Oly 45mm/1.8 or Panny 40mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by New Daddy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Oly is finally shipping 45mm/1.8, and there is only a rumor [not Panny has only made an announcement] about Panny's 40mm pancake. But I'm torn between the two because I can't afford to have two short telephoto primes.

So which would you choose and why, under the following assumptions (which I think are reasonable assumptions)? It looks like it will basically come down to which focal length and size (pancake vs. non-pancake).

• Both are comparable in sharpness and overall quality
    • Panny will also be a very fast lens.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If you can wait for the release of the Panasonic (think early next year?), than it would be safest to wait and read comparisons.

The only comment I would make on size, is that the Panasonic may be called a pancake, but I am guessing it will be on the beefier side of pancake, similar to the 20mm profile. The Oly 45mm is narrower (smaller diameter)... it does add more to camera depth, but overall, it looks like a small lens.
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  4. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Early next year? That's too long...:frown:

I wonder why Panny and Oly don't make more concerted efforts in building their roadmap. For example, Panny lets Oly market the portrait prime for a while and focuses on developing a fast zoom instead, which Oly in turn stays away from for a while. They will plunge into the other's lens turf only after an year or two from launch. Like a gentlemen's agreement.

Would that be against some kind of anti-trust law? I think we MFT users will garner much more marginal benefit from having two different types of good lenses than having two good lenses of similar focal length come out within a half year of each other.
  5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    They did very nicely manage to not overlap each other for the first couple years. I am sure some product briefings were held between Oly and Pana, but don't think the resulting lens development priority would be considered anything close to anti-trust?

Now that the m4/3 lens lineup looks pretty great, with very few holes, maybe the time for friendly ecosystem partnership is over and we have entered the one-up phase!
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Don't get all pissy at Olympus and Panasonic just because they don't have exactly what you feel they should be offering you. They are large companies trying to cater to a varied number of users. This is nowhere near antitrust, just because they aren't making the exact lens that you want, at this moment.

Also, don't get caught up in listening to rumors, and waiting for them. If you "need" (want) a portrait-length prime lens, buy the Olympus. I don't see anything about such a Panasonic lens, doing a quick google search, are you sure that you haven't just read about the 20mm, and people mentioned that it has a 40mm equivalence? In a year from now, assuming the rumors are true, and the 40mm beats the Olympus 45mm up and down the street (it won't, because the Olympus is a fine lens, and you are always going to give up optical performance when you start imposing limitations like making it a pancake lens, those pesky laws of physics and all), then sell the Olympus and buy the Panasonic. Basically, it will be like you paid $100 to rent the Olympus lens for a year which you got to go out and shoot with, instead of fretting about rumors and making legally baseless accusations.
  7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    *spinning aerial hook kick, drop-down karate chop*

Solution: take a gander at the NEX lens road map since May 2010. Wash, rinse, repeat.
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder what sort of cooperation Pany/Oly have? What if I were some other big company like Canon and decided to make m/43 cameras and lenses at m4/3 specs. Except I would want nothing to do with Pany/Olympus in fact competing with them directly, while ignoring product overlap. Would that be feasible? I wonder if 4/3rds is really that open?
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't think that's what New Daddy was saying. He was saying if panasonic and olympus entered into an agreement to perfectly compliment m43 as a whole (say, oly do primes, panasonic do zooms for the next 2 yrs), would this be some sort of antitrust issue.
  10. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    You need to read what others wrote carefully before you write. Just because you know how to ramble doesn't make what you say right. But I'll understand if you're dyslexic.

First of all, the rumor was relayed by this site's admin, no less. If you care to take a look: https://www.mu-43.com/f92/high-end-panasonic-gfx1-rumored-early-november-annoucement-16629/

Secondly, when did I make accusations against Oly and Panny? How are you gonna get a good score on SAT with that kind of reading comprehension? It's the opposite. I wondered if it'd be anti-trust if the two companies collaborated more on building lens roadmap, because I didn't think there was enough concerted efforts between the two.

Learn how to read.
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I guess I would have to go with the real lens over the hypothetical one :rolleyes:
  12. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 but then I have some issues with impulse control when it comes to m4/3 lens purchases
  13. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do too. I've asked for in-stock notification from B&H. They no longer accept (pre) orders.
  14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If I had an Oly body with IBIS I would go ahead with the Oly 45 now.

If I had a Panny body I would wait for the Panny 40 assuming it would have OIS. Plus as a pancake it would be sweet to match with the 14 and 20 pancakes.