1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45mm 1.8 - Normal or Bad Copy?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by vanessamphoto, Jun 27, 2012.

1. vanessamphoto

vanessamphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    Hi everyone! Just looking for some help here. I just got my new 45mm 1.8 lens and am very pleased with it so far except for one issue. I don't know if this is standard or if I have a bad copy of the lens, but is it normal to sometimes hear and see the lens blades opening and closing while shooting? I thought MSC meant the lens would be silent. I have two other Oly lenses (12-50mm and 40-150mm) and haven't had this happen with either of them. I know I've heard my Pana 20mm 1.7 make a slight chattering noise, but nothing like what I've heard/seen from the 45. Normal or bad copy? Here's a photo of what I saw when the lens was making the chattering noises.
    oly_45.

2. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Normal. MSC is regarding the focusing motor.

3. vanessamphoto

Jun 8, 2012
    So what causes this to happen and why? Have you experienced this before? Thanks for the help!

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Olympus adjusts the aperture to control Live View exposure. During the day, a sunny day, point the camera/lens out a window, then in. You'll hear the blades opening and closing.

Since the blades on the 45 have more distance to cover, you'll hear them more. I can hear it slightly on the 40-150, the 12-50, and the 17 as well. I do have some pretty sensitive hearing, though.

5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I have the lens and I think it has to do with the aperture adjusting to give a better live view through the LCD or EVF. It always shoots at the aperture I choose when I take the photo so besides the somewhat annoying sound of the blades moving I don't think it's a real problem.

6. the_student

the_student New to Mu-43

May 28, 2012
    Normal...I didnt see it happen for the first few weeks bc I was usually shooting wide open and in Aperture priority. When I put it in P-mode, when I was lazy, I noticed it click very quietly and saw the aperture blades open and close depending on what it was pointed to.

7. vanessamphoto

Jun 8, 2012
    I was shooting in manual when it happened. It's good to hear that this is normal.

Just one last question...I noticed that once the blades engage outside they seem hypersensitive even after the lighting conditions change. For example, the blades will engage in bright light outdoors. I go inside and the blades then disappear, but seem to reappear if I am shooting something backlit. This doesn't happen in the exact same situation when the blades hadn't previously engaged themselves outdoors. This probably doesn't make sense, but maybe someone will get what I'm saying. :redface: I just want to make sure I have a good copy. I do love this lens!

8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    All my lenses do this. Point the camera towards a bright light source, the aperture closes. Point it away and it opens up once more. Not totally sure what the point of this is, maybe to protect the sensor from being baked if you point it at the sun or something.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    All m4/3 cameras and lenses do this. It's to keep the sensor from saturating when the light level is high.

Fred