Oly 45 - Ready Mix Cement facility

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mh2000, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Photos from a local Ready-Mix concrete facility. All but last 6 taken with Oly 45/1.8. Last 6 with Sigma 30.

Ready Mix | Mark Hahn Photography

Let me know what you think of the set!

Thanks!

2. phoenixag

phoenixag Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    London
    I am not a professional, but I find the photos too dull. Maybe its because its a concrete mixing facility, but nothing really pops out to the eye.

One a separate note, I am surprised to see that I prefer the colours of the Sigma 30 much better than the Oly 45. The sky detail and colour seems very washed out in the pictures with the 45.

3. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the comments phoenixag! These are cloudy twilight shots and the light was changing and going to darkness very fast. The Sigma 30 is a good lens, not as good as the 45, but very good. I think you are responding to the difference in lighting. The colors are also swamped by the bluish twilight and the low contrast is from almost completely ambient lighting. I was kind of going for this look, but can see that it might not work for everyone... was still fun shooting!

:)

I'll probably go back during the day and do some more shooting, then the photos should have much more "pop!"

4. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    phoenixag, have given your comments further thought. Interesting really, since conceptually I was after the look that I achieved, but part of me found it hard to leave them kind of dull. As a photographer, it is easy to be torn between our idea of what makes a "good photo" and how we can work in areas that stray from this. Not that it invalidates your oppinion, but after a few more comments came in, I got these as well:

"The scenes are desolate but the colours are dreamy soft. I like that. That contrast."

and,

"Very well done. The tones and contrast are just right."

For me, photography is about looking and looking back so we can move forward and be better and understand where we're all personally going. It is really important to me. I think we need more constructive criticism like you gave me, so thanks again!

5. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Thanks for posting these images which I found thought provoking - for me they capture the desolate landscape that man so often thoughtlessly creates. An excellent set of contemporary images.

I also took the opportunity to browse your site and found several inspirational ideas there.

6. phoenixag

phoenixag Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    London
    I also took the opportunity to browse through your site and liked it :)

I find photography to be very subjective and my only intention was to give my own, very humble opinion.
    But then again, I prefer portraits or nature/street scenes with very vibrant colours, so this sort of photography is very alien to me.

Having looked at the pictures again, I am again surprised by how much I prefer the colours of the Sigma. Maybe it's because it was later in the evening, I am not sure. But it does give me motivation to pick up a Sigma 60mm in the near future :)

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I like the juxtaposition of the man-made hard lines and angles with the natural shapes and curves of the sand piles.

8. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for looking guys! :)

Peter, I'm really glad that you found some of my stuff inspiring! :)

phoenixag, thanks for giving my work a second look! Yes, we all have different interests in photography! My S30 is my most used lens, good lens, the S60 looks stunning from all I've seen from it... thinking about getting it myself. :)

MajorMagee, thanks for the compliments! :)

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Those are the kind of photos that need to be printed big to help convey the scale. The bigger the better!

10. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    12x16" is about as big as the E-P1 likes, but will probably put them in one of my next gallery shows.