1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45: any improvements on the newer pens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Feb 8, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I used an Oly 45/1.8 on an EP3 and EPL2. Both left me less than excited, as the focus was pretty inconsistent. Sometimes simply missing focus, other times grabbing the background for focus.

I've got an EPL5 now, with the ability to support the smaller focus box. Can anyone comment on AF consistency/proper locking on the newer pens vs. the older ones?

2. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I don't have that lens, but the 25mm f1.4 focuses well at f1.4 on the OM-D

3. st3amco0ker

st3amco0ker Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    I have both epm1 and epm2. Gotta say the Oly 45/1.8's focus is spot on with epm2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I haven't had any trouble with the 45/1.8 focusing on either the EM5 or EPM2.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Would you say that it does have issues on the EPM1?

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This makes me curious - I have an E-P3 and an E-PL3 that I use with the 45mm. I don't recall having any focus issues. Is anyone else experiencing a problem? :confused:

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The 45/1.8 is a stellar performer on the E-M5. Never noted any focus issues.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just to date myself, I had to look up the thread. It was back when Alan Roseman frequented these pages! Any rate, Alan's thread, and other users like Hyubie and myself had similar issues. Maybe FW updates and new bodies have left this issue in the past:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/oly-45mm-focusing-issues-17158/

9. sge998

sge998 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had similar issues with this lens. Previously I thought it might be a compatibility issue with Panasonic bodies but that turns out to not be the case. I found the lens to hunt a lot and flaring makes it not so ideal for bright day photos. Oh... the colors produced from this lens is a bit duller and less saturated than my liking. At the end, I sold it and got the PanyLeica and been loving it since.

10. st3amco0ker

st3amco0ker Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My 45mm focuses fine on both my E-PLs! Fast and accurate. The 20mm on the other hand sometimes has issues, but rarely.

12. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I've had my 45mm on both my E-P3 and my E-M5 and have had 0 flare or focus issues, theo only reason I don't use it more is most the toys I photograph need closer focusing than the 2ish feet the 45 has.

13. The problems that I have had with the 45mm is when I have had to coax it into focusing on a small foreground object. I think that the first movement of the lens to achieve focus is to head towards infinity, so that if your point of focus is already beyond the subject it will lock onto the background. In this instance I will focus the lens on something close (usually the back of my hand) to bring the point of focus forwards and then try again. After that it works fine.

I don't think that this phenomena is restricted to just the Oly 45mm either. I have used this same trick with just about any CDAF camera and lens. Actually I'm sure that I have used the same method on PDAF DSLRs as well.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had the same problems with a GH2, G2, E-P3 and GX1 with the O45/1.8. I found it a pretty frustrating lens in that respect. It is conceivable however that it would be better on newer bodies. Now, I like to shoot close in and as as Nic mentioned it was typically trying to isolate a small foreground object. I just chalked it up to a limitation of the lens rather than a flaw. For me the PL45 suited me better and perhaps being a macro lens it was more suited to that kind of subject.

15. It would be interesting to know if a macro lens like the PL45 actually works backwards in it's first movement to find focus (i.e. towards min. focus rather than towards infinity).

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm...
    I had no issues with the 45 on my PL2 & subsequently none on my PL5 either....

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Several people have brought up problems focusing at closest focus distance. I do have to admit that my 45mm has trouble focusing at closest focus. However all of my AF lenses have a certain amount of trouble focusing at their closest. I can see how it may seem more noticeable to some as the 45mm's closest focus is just under 2 feet. But when I test the 45mm at objects 3 or more feet away it focuses quickly and accurately{tested on both my bodies!}.

• Like Like x 2
  18. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    I feel that the AF works better (more consistent and accurate) with EPL5 now especially with a smaller box AF. which is selectable easily, rather than using the zoom function.

8341568749_169829e3bd_c.

19. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I too noticed this when I had the 45mm.