1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45/75 1.8 or 60mm 2.8 Macro?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by harry_s, Feb 1, 2013.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I currently own the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and 75mm 1.8, they are both mostly used for scenic/travel stuff and more often than not in good light. Even though it's the middle of winter here in the UK I've noticed I rarely get to utilise anywhere near wide open as the 1/4000 shutter speed limit isn't fast enough. The vast majority of my shots that I would want wide open end up around f4 or thereabouts.

I know I could use ND filters, but they're a hassle. In the interests of saving a bit of money, having one less lens to change and having the bonus of 1:1 macro, would it be logical to sell both and move over to the 60mm?

The 75mm is a great lens but it's a lot of money to have tied up in something that doesn't appear like it's going to get as much use as I can justify.

Does anyone use the 60mm and the 45 and/or 75? I'm mainly wondering if it will be a reasonable alternative, and if the AF speed will stand up for a lot of telephoto work (mainly static subjects) as well as macro.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have all three. The 75 is the sharpest, just. Then the 60 and then the 45. The difference between the 60 and 75 in sharpness is tiny. The 60 focus' just as fast as the 75, as far as I can tell. I have no problems using the 60 as an all round lens as well as a macro.

However I don't find a filter a hassle. I always carry a polariser for my travel/landscape work anyway and that has enough ND to allow me to shoot wide open.

I'm not giving up any of them.

Gordon

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How about the upcoming Sigma 60mm 2.8? That will definitely be the budget option.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Indoors and without adequate lighting conditions, the 60 can hunt a bit(but this is true for any macro even with limited focus setting). As far the sharpness and versatiliy, I completely agree. For me, 45 wasn't a comfortable FOV but 60 sure is. :biggrin:

5. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    I use my 60 regularly at wedding receptions as both a macro and general purpose lens. I'm not seeing any more or less issues with it than the 75 in those conditions as far as focus goes.

Gordon

6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    hmmm...okay I'll be the odd ball here and say I enjoy the 45 more. As far as the 60 being sharper...I haven't looked at any comparisons of the two but the 45 is tack sharp and at 1.8 I never need a flash. 100% crops look better than any current telephoto. I will say this, I think you can't go wrong with either and it will boil down to your preference of FOV.

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Not odd ball, at all. I think when you're talking about 3 equally excellent lenses, it really boils down mostly to AF and choice of FOV. The 45 never felt right for me. On the other hand, my wife loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    But do you use flash and strobes?

9. Tvaclavek

Tvaclavek New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2011
    I had the 45mm. Have the 60. I prefer the 60 because of the versatility. I just couldn't get used to the 90mm fov. I know it shouldn't matter but the difference between 90 and 85 bothered me enough to not like it as much as I should.

10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks for the interesting thread. I'm in (almost) the same boat as the person who started the thread, I think for my next lens I'm down to the Olympus 45 or the Olympus 60 (the 75's out of the question, haha).

11. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    SOmetimes yes. Sometimes no. But I do leave the focus assist light on, on my EM5's.

Gordon