Oly 45/1.8 VERY tight on OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Sep 13, 2012.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    When I first got my 45 a few weeks ago, I noticed that it was tighter than my other lenses when mounting/unmounting it, but I didn't think much of it. It now has gotten so tight that I'm almost scared to put it on the camera for fear that it will get stuck. I'm not a small guy and it takes almost all the strength that I have to get it off. None of my other lenses do this.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    This has been a common observation since its release. I've had mine a year now, and it's still tight and it hasn't shwn any wear marks on the mount or the camera(s) flange. Hence, I'm not worrying about it, and I don't recall anyone on this forum stating a failure or breakage caused by the tight fit.
  3. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    It's very tight on my E-P2 as well if it helps. Seems to be a tight fitting lens.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well mine is tight, but it certainly doesn't take that level of force. I'd return it if you can and get another. There are bound to be variations, but you never want to be in the position of forcing something. That mistake cost me nearly $250 at Olympus service just because a stupid lens hood no longer fitted smoothly!

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    When I had the O45 (two of them in fact) I noticed tight fit on a number of bodies I had at the time but nothing that seemed problematic.
  6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I notice the same thing on my Oly12mm
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I've noticed my 45/1.8 being tight on my E-M5 but not on my E-PM1. The 45/1.8 takes a little extra force to get it to lock onto the E-M5, but I haven't noticed it being tight when removing it. Will have to pay more attention next time it comes off the E-M5 (not often). :biggrin:
  8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I've noticed that the Olympus 17mm Pancakes are sometimes very tight and 'dry' feeling when they are mounted
    I've never known this to cause a problem or damage but your 45mm does sound a bit extreme
  9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Yeah that's why I haven't noticed it much -- the 45 has been on my camera pretty much since I got it...
  10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  11. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Mine isn't tight

My 45mm fits on my E-M5 the same all all my other lens.

My only complaint is that I wish I could have purchased the 45mm in Black. :frown: