1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45 1.8 or Oly om 50 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by peterpix, Aug 24, 2011.

1. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    A couple of quick flower pixs with the old Oly and a Fotodix adapter, f4, ISO 160, hgh shutter speed. Auto focus is nice but this lens and adapter was $85!
    Any comments?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No pics???

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I wonder what is the point of using 50mm f1.4 at f4? There are plenty of smaller and less expensive small aperture lenses in that FL...

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Having the aperture range doesn't mean you have to use the wide open only out of it, or am I doing it wrong having one lense that ranges from 1.2 to 22. Should I have one for say 2.0 and higher and another for 1.4, and another for 1.2, and maybe a .95 as well? I don't understand? Why not cover all available with one lens?

5. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Oops no photos

Photos didn't attach to last post, sorry!

6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    I was merely indicating the similar specs of the two lenses and comparing the costs vs quality. Perhaps my quick pics are not suitable for comparison.?

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, but for 45mm f1.8 performance at f1.8 is far more importrant than performance at f4, IMO.

8. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Well it depends also on the sweet spot and what you want to achieve in your photo.
    Some lens are sharper at F4 for example even if they can make it all the way to F1.4 and if you need sharpness with less bokeh, you use it at F4. Not always of course.

9. My theory on fast lenses is that the the higher lens speed should imply better performance across the board, not just allow you to shoot half a stop faster wide-open. However this is not always the case. I would take a slightly slower lens over a faster one any day if the slower lens was better optically.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It depends on the purpose of the lens. E.g. Rokinon 85mm f1.4 was optimized for wide open performance and the sharpness doesn't increase all that much at smaller apertures. I will be buying Olympus 45mm f1.8 for portraits meaning that I prefer better performance wide open than stopped down.