1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 45/1.8 or Contax Planar 45/2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by apicius9, Jan 3, 2012.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Does anybody have both of these lenses and can comment on how they compare besides the obvious MF/AF difference? I was thinking of selling the Planar and getting the Oly, but the Planar is such a beauty that I have a hard time to make a decision.

Thanks,

Stefan

2. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    That´s a side by side test I would like to see. The Oly is very sharp, if the Contax is sharper then...UAU

3. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm sure they're both sharp enough for almost any application. The more subtle question is the "look" they both give - that's going to be more subjective. I own the Contax and I love the results it gives. For me the bigger issue is auto focus vs. manual focus. I don't do that much dedicated portrait work, so I haven't developed real security in being able to nail focus at critical moments. For that reason I find the idea of the Oly quite attractive. I'm waiting for the right moment to make a purchase, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the Contax as well - partially for sentimental reasons, I still have a Contax G1/G2 system (that I never use) that was my all-time favorite camera system. I think you have to determine how comfortable you are with manual focus.

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I don't own the Contax 45/2, but I have experience with other excellent Zeiss optics (50/1.7 and 85/2.8 Sonnar), and the Oly 45/1.8 is as sharp. It doesn't quite have the extreme macro-contrast that Zeiss primes seem to have, but it is a very high resolution optic with a beautiful contrast curve and very smooth bokeh. It is tack sharp right from f/1.8...among the sharpest portrait length lenses I've used (and I've owned the Canon 85L, 100L and 135L on full frame). The blazing fast AF combined with extremely high optical quality has made me really not want to use any legacy glass in this range, even my excellent Hexanon 57/1.2.