1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly 40-150 VS Panny 45-200

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mesmerized, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi,

I know you guys have already helped me a lot in one of my previous topics bu;
    t I need to make a wise decision... thus... I wanna ask which of the two is better in terms of sharpness:

A) Oly 40-150mm
    B) Panny 45-200mm

The former one is more expensive in China, the latter one is quite cheap... I almost bought the Panny yesterday but I read this review and hesitated...

Impressions on the M.Zuiko 40-150 (and against the 45-200)

Is there a better choice within a similar price range?

Thanks,

PS. By the way, what prime, fast lens would you suggest to get? I'm using E-PL1

2. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    any insights would be welcome and appreciated

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Some people think the olympus is sharper (I do). But they are close enough that it might be more reliant on sample variation. If you are price conscious might as well go with the cheaper one.

Here the Olympus is cheaper (not to mention a lot lighter) so I would lean towards it.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Mu-43 App

4. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    You can check the charts at slrgear.

5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Sorry, I can't say anything about the bigger one, but Oly 40-150 is good and sharp. It feels a toy alike 99 euro lens but it performs and behaves like 600 euro lens. With that 99 price it's exceptionally good ;-)

I have compared it with Pany 14-140 and while Pany is a good performer, Oly is noticeable sharper at the long end (I was a bad Pany user because I used it mainly as a tele).

6. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Here's a funny thing... Panny is cheaper in China... 1600CNY VS 2000RMB for Oly...

I wish there was a third-way here...

7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I tested the 45-175, 40-150 and 45-200 against each other awhile back. I tested them at infinity focus because I use these lenses for landscapes. I was warned by another post that the 40-150 suffered at infinity focus. This turned out to be the case, it was noticeably softer than the other two lenses at all focal lengths at infinity focus. It was said that at closer focus the 40-150 was nice and sharp, but I didn't test it there because that wasn't my intended use.

I would never recommend anyone purchase a 45-200 from a channel that doesn't allow for easy returns. The lens is notorious for bad copies. Mine, fortunately, is nice and sharp but there clearly is a high rate of soft copies out there. Even SLRGear's test copy was garbage, with the results showing an obviously decentered element while Photozone got a "good copy" that tested very sharp.

Here's a link to my test posted on DPR:

45-200/45-175/40-150 the winner is...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The 40-150 is significantly smaller and lighter than the 45-200.

Both of these are low cost consumer grade lenses. Be aware that any comparison you see between them (including my own, and Jman's you linked to) are just as likely to show random manufacturing variations than any true difference between the lenses.

For my uses (infinity focus landscapes) the difference was glaring enough I'm still hauling around the much heavier and larger 45-200 and sold the 40-150. For someone else the choice might be exactly the opposite. And if you got a poor copy of the 45-200 you certainly would want to get rid of it, I've seen many sample images from bad copies and they really are soft and of poor quality.

Ken

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Here one example with the long end of Oly 40-150. For a 99 dollar lens I think it's sharp. At least for me ;-)

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The Panasonic 40-140 would be a better comparison against the 40-150 Olympus. I had a 45-200 Panasonic that was exceptional (since sold), so there are "good" copies of that lens out there.

10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Is there such?

11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Panny is much better at 151-200. :thumbup:

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Eek, brain fart. Crossed 14 and 40..... :redface:

13. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    hmm... is there a zoom lens that I could rely on and be sure that it won't be likely to be subject to such manufacturing variations?

14. tintin79

tintin79 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2012
    im also considering the panny 45-200 or the oly 40-150...thanks for the reviews you guys posted!

15. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm utterly confused... Some people say I should go for an Olly, other claim that a Panny would be better...

There must be a better lens than both of them ;)

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I own the 40-150mm but seriously considered the 45-200mm when it was on super-sale a month or so back. To summarize the major differences:

1) The Oly is much smaller and lighter. For me that was a major consideration.

2) The Panny has IS (which is one of the reasons it's heavier). If you're shooting with a Panny body the only way you're getting to get stabilization (very useful at the long end) is with the Panny lens.

3) The Panny has more reach. HOWEVER, most reports suggest that IQ detiorates quickly past 150mm (e.g., tloader), so that extra reach might not be all that useful. I know I've personally compared upsampled images at 150mm from the 40-150mm vs. several 200mm primes (NOT the Panny) and found that there's no practical difference. In other words, if the image isn't all that sharp at 200mm you can do just as well shooting at 150mm and cropping out the edges.

4) The Oly seems to be cheaper, at least here in the US. There have been occasional sales where it can be had for less than $150 (I got mine for $107!), and prices on eBay range average about $140. That's a pretty darn good deal.

5) Bottom line, neither are stellar lenses and it probably won't make much difference. If it were me I'd get the Oly if I had an Oly body and the Panny if I had a Panny body--not because of compatibility issues, but simply to ensure I had IS when I wanted it.

17. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    here the Panny is sold for 1600rmb... and Olly, for 2000... dunno why.

18. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    That's true. I would also consider the old 14-45 which is a good lens and then 100-300 which supposed to be a good one also. With both of those lenses you get that quality feeling and they both comes with OIS. Keep in mind though that at the long end that 300 is very close to tripod thing. Of course OIS helps.

EDIT. I just noticed you have E-PL1. In that case OIS helps also in the long end because IBIS in your body isn't so effective (not in your camera body either ;-)

19. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Making long story short and keeping the price point in mind; Buy Pana 20/1.7.

20. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I enjoy my Olympus 40-150, it's got a bit of CA and the focus is a bit sluggish but it's very light for a lens with this focal range, it's well priced and it's light enough to be a good choice when traveling.