1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 40-150 vs. Pana 45-150

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SojiOkita, Mar 4, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hello veryone,

In lots of posts here, I've read people recommending the Olympus 40-150.

I found only one website that tested both lenses (photozone), and the Panasonic 45-150 seemed to be a little better especially at the long end of the zoom:
    Pana: http://www.photozone.de/m43/845-panasonic45150f456?start=2
    Oly: http://www.photozone.de/m43/780_oly40150r?start=2

The Pana also have stabilization (which is useless on an Olympus body, but if you have several bodies including a Pana, it could be a plus) and is also a little more compact, but won't probably make the difference as the Olympus is not too big either:
    http://j.mp/MLurqV

I know there was a special offer for the Olympus at 100$, but currently it costs twice this price, and the difference with the Panasonic is not huge (approximately 25%).

So... considering today's prices (Oly 200$, Pana 250$), would you still recommend the Olympus over the Panasonic?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've had both, and for the reasons you mentioned decided to keep the Panasonic and sell the Oly. Of course it helped that I'd bought the Oly for about $100 and was able to sell it, after a year, for a good bit more than that!

Like you say, they're very close. My testing also showed that the Panny was a little better at 150mm, but the Oly was a shade better at 40-45mm. OIS can be useful on some Oly bodies too, especially the PM-series. The difference in size was also not completely insignificant--it's hard to believe the Panny 45-150mm is so small.

3. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Ive never held the Panny, but the Oly is super duper light, possibly because of all the plastic. It has a plastic mount. Not sure how that stacks up to the Panny.

I have the R version and I love it. Use it all the time as it fits in a cargo pant pocket. The hood is reversible and not that expensive as far as Oly hoods are concerned.

The Haitian Farm Workers on my flickr account are all shot with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsecafoto/

Plus I got mine for $75 on Ebay so that inspired me to buy it :)

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The difference in sharpness at 150mm is very small, I think you'll get more variation due to atmospheric haze (at long range) and technique when hand holding than from the lens itself. IS for telephoto is pretty useful though, if you don't have IBIS or its an inferior type (read Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5), having it in the lens is a good idea. I only got the Olympus because a) they were more common on the second hand market (so cheaper), and because it is lighter (important for travel).

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I have the Olympus, but I plan to eventually get the Panasonic. I agree with photozone that the 40-150R is a little weak at the long end, especially at max. aperture, and I'm hoping the 45-150 will prove better. In addition, the 45-150 is 10mm shorter than the 40-150, and it extends less. Another nice perk is that it uses 52mm filters, as opposed to 58mm ones.

I wouldn't pay MSRP for either lens though - they're nice enough, but for 40% off, it's worth going with secondhand ones.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've not used the Olympus, but I'm very happy with the Panasonic. It's remarkably compact. And I do have Panasonic bodies, so the OIS is a definite plus.

7. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    There's only a 10g difference in weight.
    190 g for the Olympus.
    200 g for the Panasonic.

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    They are both pretty light and they are both fairly sharp. While the Olympus may seem to be slightly weak on the 150mm side, it's not all that noticeable and is well corrected with DXO Optics Pro 9. I bought it less than $100 new and that was the reason against the Panasonic because they still wanted $250 for it. Without image stabilization, you will need an OMD or an E-P5 to help you and I personally think OMD's and PEN 5 axis IBIS is superior than what's in the Panasonic lens. You can somewhat get similar performance using the older 2 axis IBIS with a monopod and I have no problems getting sharp images with my E-PL1. The only slight downside is that, the bokeh is a bit rough. But then, I'm not complaining!

I have a Marumi closeup lens for it now as well as the hood, so I can do macro photography with it thanks to wjiang and so far, I'm having a blast! I find that you need the hood as at 150mm, it's susceptible to slight side flaring and cuts down on contrast which might explain why I'm getting that slight haze when I first tried it. With a cheap JJC hood, problem is solved. Also the hood is helpful in macro photography as well when using external fill flash. Again, the side lit soft box rigged bright flash light seemed to induce some kind of faint haze that's making it slightly soft at 150mm. And the hood helps shield my E-PL1 flash so it doesn't contribute to the main flash exposure. All good.

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The thing is, the Olympus 40-150 is offered "on sale" for ~$100 so often it feels like that is the regular price. And at that point, it probably depends mostly on your budget and whether you need the Pany's OIS, rather than the small difference in image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I got the Panasonic 45-150 because I wanted to use the Gear Shop $50 credit that was floating around a while back and, at the time, the Panasonic ended up being cheaper than the Olympus (not by much, but I didn't care which lens I ended up with).

11. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    If the Olympus is on sale in the next two months... I'll probably get it instead of the Panasonic.
    It's also depends if the sale is worldwide or not...

12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I'm interested in getting the Oly 40-150mm, too, and have lost out on several eBay auctions to get one under the $100 mark. However, if they often go on sale for $100 anyway, guess I should just wait for a sale, eh?

ONE QUESTION: I know I want to look for the indication that the lens is specifically for m4/3 cameras (I have an OM-D E-M10), but there appear to be a variety of versions of the m4/3 40-150mm lens. How does one tell them apart and which is the best to get? Thanks for any education on this point, as I'd hate to get the wrong one after all this looking!

13. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Any M4/3rds copy is specifically for m4/3rds and will function natively, just don't buy a plain 4/3rds lens.

14. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    The 40-150mm also had a 'R' version which is newer. The only difference from my reading is the barrel design. Optically they are the same.

15. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks, dd1 and NYArtboy. Appreciate the feedback. Did take a closer look at 40-150s for sale here and, in fact, bought one last night. The non-R version, apparently. Looking forward to adding this to my bag to complement my 14-42mm kit.

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree the difference is small, but I based my decision based on pictures of the same subject taken at the same time from a tripod (OIS and IBIS off), so I do think they are real--at least real for my copies of the two lenses. As far as size and weight go, I'd argue the difference in length (73mm for the Panny vs. 83mm for the Oly) is more significant than the difference in weight (200g for the Panny vs. 190g for the Oly)--heck, you could probably save 10g by choosing a smaller lens cap!

Don't really want to argue with you--they're both lenses, amazingly small, and I suspect the differences in IQ are so small that they are in most cases completely insignificant.

17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    40-150R surprises me when I rarely take it out.

p611272165-5.

p820845520-6.

18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Isn't the real interest in the Olympus 40-150 f2.8 Pro that will should be released in the second half of the year? Personally I won't purchase a lens in this range until the Pro is out and can be compared to others in the market.

19. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The pro will be much bigger and much more expensive, probably more than 1000$ given the price of pana 35-100. The current 40-150 and 45-150 are ideal for people who need a non expensive light travel telobjective.

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Apples and oranges. A cheap, slow aperture, compact lens vs. a fast, pro-grade, much heavier, much more expensive lens. Totally different potential buyer.