1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oly 40-150 vs. 40-150R

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 67DGS, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hi:

Just bought an E-PL5 and would like to add a 40-150. Just what is the difference between the older version and the "R" version. There is a bit of a price difference and is it worth the extra for the R.

Jack

2. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    The "R" is Olympus's definition of a cosmetic change

Doesn't affect the optical performance at all, and not worth paying more for. You shouldn't have to pay more that about $150 for a 40 - 150 new in the box.

(Pause for editorial comment) The 40 - 150 is one of the best values of all the m4/3s lenses. I won't say "best" because that's in the eye of the beholder. But it's in a LOT of camera bags (including mine) and it's an excellent complement to my 12-50, since that lens - while good in some ranges - gets slower and softer over 40 mm.

At $150, it's close to a no-brainer. Stop it down 1/2 stop for best results, since it is a kit lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Comments on dpreview.com indicate that the R lens will focus faster with the newer PEN models.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks to all!

David, I seem to remember coming across something to that effect, somewhere. That is why I was questioning the difference. Thanks again.

Jack

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    When I was faced with the same choice after spending way too much time researching it I opted for the R version. I think this is another case of Olympus not providing information for its consumer base to make an informed decision.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unfortunately, those comments are incorrect.

There is no difference in focusing speed between the two variants.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Well, if nothing else the R variant looks great! :biggrin:

9. jack92029

jack92029 New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2012
    I had the 40-150mm and sold it on eBay for $150.

Then I purchased my E-M5 and purchased both the 45mm & a 40-150R. I got a $150 rebate on the 45mm (net cost $249) and a $100 rebate on the 40-150R (net cost $99).

I prefer the looks and feel of the 40-150R over the original model. The barrel also feels stiffer ( stays where I put it), and it might be the E-M5, but the version of the 40-150R seems sharper (slightly)

I'm happy I took the time to "upgrade" to the R version by selling my old version on ebay and buying the new version with the rebate.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.