1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 40-150 v. Pana 45-150 on a E-PM2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DeoreDX, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I've always considered Oly zooms on Oly bodies because of the lack of ability to use the OIS and (usually) added cost and weight of the Panasonic lenses. But now that I have an E-PM2 which can use the OIS on the Panasonic zooms I'm considering otherwise.

From a specs perspective the Panasonic is physically smaller, a wee bit heavier, and offers OIS. The Olympus is cheaper, lighter, and a little bit longer physically. I'm amazed how few comparisons I've seen around here actually comparing the two. I'm considering the Panasonic because of the better build and I have the notion (I could be wrong) that the OIS might perform better than the IBIS in the E-PM2 which doesn't seem as effective as the VR on my Nikon glass.

Considering
    -Stabilization on an E-PM2, OIS v, IBIS
    -Image quality
    -AF Speed

Which do you guys feel would be a better performer? Any strengths/weaknesses in image quality comparisons throughout the zoom range? I'd like to hear some opinions.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I have the 45-175mm Panny and am considering switching to the 45-150mm, for the following reasons (some of which are relevant to your questions):

1. OIS-priority works very well on the PM2, and better than the PM2's IBIS.

2. The 45-175mm is really small--smaller than both the 45-175mm and the Oly 40-150mm;

3. According to this review, the 45-150mm doesn't soften up at 150mm like most telephoto zooms. I most would use this lens at the long end, so this is important to me.*

4. There's also a review of the 45-175 for comparison, but note it's on a camera with a different sensor, so the numbers aren't directly comparable.

*Unfortunately, this review disagrees with this finding, showing significantly worse performance at 150mm. As usual, confusion reigns!

3. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Get the 45-150mm over 40-150mm, the OIS is much better for video than pen's IBIS

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    This is a good point. It also means the camera's less obvious when you're trying to shoot surreptitiously because the zoom never extends, and the 45-175mm is really quite small.