1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLy 40-150 or Panny 45-175

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Apr 28, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Anyone have experience using both these lenses?
    Reviews seem a bit mixed - is the Panny worth 2x the price?
    Not worried about the wide end - the long end is important.
    Many thanks,
    Mike

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I've used both and they are about on par with IQ, a slight edge to the Panny. The Panasonic is nicer/more convenient if you plan on doing video but no, I don't think it's worth 2x the price. I found a new one for just slightly more than the Oly and am happy with its performance up to about 160mm (I admit to being a pixel peeper).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd also throw in the Panasonic 45-150mm. I'd say it's priced in-between the two lenses mentioned and it's built better than the Olympus 40-150. Quite a sharp lens all-around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    We have both in the family and as someone has already suggested they are very close in IQ up to 120mm but after this the Pana is definitely better than the Oly.

Is it worth the extra? On Oly bodies no. On Pana bodies - depends.

Yes it handles better than the Oly at the long end because of the fixed length (also may mean less dust gets sucked in with use) and takes the same 46mm filters as the 25mm, 14mm etc so could save on filter purchases.

I don't think the P40-150 is quite as good as the Oly or P45-175 so if you are a GF/G/GH body user it's not quite so clear and would depend on how many filters you use or how often you use 120+.

For us (EPL-3, EM-5 and G3) we might have been better with Oly40-150 and Pana 100-300.

5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Olympus focuses extremely fast, and is incredibly lightweight.

Can't speak on Panasonic however

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Thanks for the replies - should have mentioned that I have an EM5...

7. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I have the EP5 and the 45-175 focuses very quickly. I like that it's internal zoom and find that i use the zoom switch often when photographing wildlife. It's very convenient and quick. There are some decent prices on ebay for used. What are you planning to photograph?