Oly 40-150 on sale for $99

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WilburNJ, Feb 7, 2013.

1. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Very nice lens, amazing price. Good find.

P.

3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Damn, I paid full price for it not long ago.... It is a fine lens though.. That's Jupiter on the lower right.

moon-150mm.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Thanks. I just placed an order.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks! I was tempted to get the 75-300 when it came out but was just afraid it'd be hard to sell if a fast zoom were all of sudden to be announced by Olympus. This should tide me over while waiting. I owned the Mk I version and other than the plastic lens mount, I was happy with it. The newer version is sleek looking.

Anyone know if the lens mount is still plastic? Thanks!

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Still plastic, or so I have read. I'm going to bite. Can't pass up a $100.00 lightweight zoom. Costs less than the body cap lens, no?

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

You could tell me that it was Uranus, and I'd believe you.

I once had a group of failed pixels and I told people it was the barred spiral galaxy NGC 922, located in the southern constellation of Fornax at a distance of about 150 million light years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks! No, the body lens cap is only 50usd. I bought this lens once at 129.99 which was a deal but sold it when I purchased the 75-300. At 99.99, you're right, it's hard not to bite. :)

9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    No, no, it's true it was an unusual night and I researched it. The planet was exceedingly bright and in the right place. Even with the urban light pollution it came out visible.

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I paid a lot more for this lens just a couple of weeks ago. I have no regrets at all.

Lens is sharp, focuses quite fast, is tiny for 6x magnification and weighs almost nothing.

Construction is all plastic, and zoom isn't 100% smooth, but hey, it's not a $1,000 dollar lens.

No reservations, especially at the price.

P.

• Like Like x 1
  11. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I don't mind the plastic lens mount but they really didn't fix the tight zoom ring from the 1st iteration? Disappointing but still not a deal-breaker especially at this price.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks for the heads up. The 5% coupon Olympus gave for completing their recent survey basically took care of the tax for me, plus they've got free shipping. I just wish I would have had the lens last weekend for the cyclocross world championships instead of the MF lenses I used.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Just picked one up for Mary Lou (my much better half).

Gary

14. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was thinking of getting the 30mm for the same price, but this is also pretty tempting. How is the handling of this lens on smaller m4/3 cameras like the GF3/5 or E-PM1?

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I was able to handle it pretty well with an E-PL3 I once owned.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    $99 is pretty much a no brainer the way I see it.

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Absolutely. I have the Panny 45-150 but at this price it's easy to pick one up anyway. There are times when, even within micro four thirds, Oly glass sometimes works a bit better on Oly bodies. The same with Panny lenses and cameras. Thanks for the heads up.

18. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    This sounds like a great deal, but I wonder how much of a hassle it will be on a non-stabilized body like my Panasonic GH2. You guys think it's still worth it?

19. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I haven't tried but if I had a Panny body, I wouldn't. The 75/1.8 might be the longest lens I would try to use on a G3/5 or GH2/3 but not their smaller bodies. In my opinion, use of telephotos require some form of IS.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I look at it as an outdoor lens. The slow maximum aperture is going to make it difficult to use indoors even on the newest bodies, even with great high ISO performance and IBIS. I don't even use f4 lenses indoors with My 5DII. Outdoors in good light you'll easily be able to get 1/300sec or faster so the lack of IBIS on your GH2 may not be as much of an issue.