1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oly 40-150 lens on a GF! or G2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Feb 29, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Ok I am used to the big heavy zooms of my old film gear, and no stabilisation of course, but its been a long time since I used them. Is the Oly lens going to be a real handful on a pana body with no OIS?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope.

3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    very plasticky. super light, same size as a can of beer or pop, but less weight.

used it on my gf1, but a lot of pictures came out blurry though with out the ibis when i was trying it out at home with lights on. (in bright sunlight it won't be a issue) i use it on my ep3 instead.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's much too small and light for my taste, at that focal length and aperture size. That's the reason I dumped my Four-Thirds ED version (the older version was a little faster and heavier) though it is actually a very good lens. The light weight just makes it very "wobbly" to hold.

If you compare the Zuiko 40-150mm/4-5.6 with the Zuiko 70-300mm/4-5.6 at the same focal lengths (ie, 70-150mm), you will find the 70-300mm is SO much steadier. Of course the slightly faster aperture speed helps a bit (the 70-300mm is f/4.5 at 150mm just like the old 40-150mm used to be), but the biggest difference is in the size and weight of the lens. The 70-300mm feels so much better to hand-hold.

I guess when I said it's "not a handful" I should have been clearer, lol. A lot of people think bigger lenses are harder to handle, when many times the opposite is true.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.