Oly 40-150 lens on a GF! or G2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Feb 29, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Ok I am used to the big heavy zooms of my old film gear, and no stabilisation of course, but its been a long time since I used them. Is the Oly lens going to be a real handful on a pana body with no OIS?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    very plasticky. super light, same size as a can of beer or pop, but less weight.

used it on my gf1, but a lot of pictures came out blurry though with out the ibis when i was trying it out at home with lights on. (in bright sunlight it won't be a issue) i use it on my ep3 instead.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's much too small and light for my taste, at that focal length and aperture size. That's the reason I dumped my Four-Thirds ED version (the older version was a little faster and heavier) though it is actually a very good lens. The light weight just makes it very "wobbly" to hold.

If you compare the Zuiko 40-150mm/4-5.6 with the Zuiko 70-300mm/4-5.6 at the same focal lengths (ie, 70-150mm), you will find the 70-300mm is SO much steadier. Of course the slightly faster aperture speed helps a bit (the 70-300mm is f/4.5 at 150mm just like the old 40-150mm used to be), but the biggest difference is in the size and weight of the lens. The 70-300mm feels so much better to hand-hold.

I guess when I said it's "not a handful" I should have been clearer, lol. A lot of people think bigger lenses are harder to handle, when many times the opposite is true.