Oly 40-150 2.8 PRO Vignetting

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is an image straight out of the camera with my 40-150 2.8 pro. Vignetting is obvious in this image. The shot was wide open at 2.8 and I was at maximum zoom. I would expect this at the wide end not the long end. Is this common for this lens and would stopping down help mitigate the effect? I should say that I don't notice it if the frame is 'busy', but shots like this where there is a lot of empty frame the vignetting really jumps out. Anybody else experience this with this lens?

P5150010.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EDIT TO ADD: No lens hood was used.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Awww, that's not really so bad. :D I don't own that lens, but I wouldn't expect vignetting to be something that changes due to "copy variation"... there is, however, the question of whether in-camera correction is enabled or not. In my E-PL7 this setting is called "shading compensation", and it's found in the section with color/WB settings... I don't remember if it's on by default or not, but might be worth a check. My experience is that this software correction doesn't try to fully correct the falloff, though... just mitigates it somewhat.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awww, that's not really so bad. :D I don't own that lens, but I wouldn't expect vignetting to be something that changes due to "copy variation"... there is, however, the question of whether in-camera correction is enabled or not. In my E-PL7 this setting is called "shading compensation", and it's found in the section with color/WB settings... I don't remember if it's on by default or not, but might be worth a check. My experience is that this software correction doesn't try to fully correct the falloff, though... just mitigates it somewhat.
Thanks for that. I'll explore the menu later today or tonight.

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
This is an image straight out of the camera with my 40-150 2.8 pro. Vignetting is obvious in this image. The shot was wide open at 2.8 and I was at maximum zoom. I would expect this at the wide end not the long end. Is this common for this lens and would stopping down help mitigate the effect? I should say that I don't notice it if the frame is 'busy', but shots like this where there is a lot of empty frame the vignetting really jumps out. Anybody else experience this with this lens?

View attachment 822790

Are you using an Olympus camera, with automatic lens correction, including vignetting ?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

View attachment 822790

Go to your Menu G & set Shading Comp. to ON & then it should not be noticed. If you save RAW then it will embed it in the file too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom