Oly 4/3 lens on E-P2 question...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by johnny9fingers, Mar 3, 2010.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

If I were to use the 50mm f/2.0 Macro ED Zuiko Digital Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras (Four Thirds System) on my E-P2 would all the camera functions be available?? I've heard good things about this lens and my want to give it a try, but don't want to cripple my camera in doing so.....
    Thanks,
    John

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi John,

yes - 100% compatible... no problems whatsoever - works great!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  3. johnny9fingers

Thank you Brian, thats good to hear. The 50mm (100mm on the E-P2) is a perfect portrait length, and I like the 85mm to 135mm range a lot. I would like to see Olympus make a few nice primes for mu43. A nice fast 50, and 85, 100, and 135 or 150. I have the 17mm (35mm) and love that little lens.....
    Thanks again.....
    John

4. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    I had a normal 4/3 zoom lens and did not like it because the lens would stop down every time I hit the AF button. Maybe thats normal because of the adapter you add. But it still took great pics...good luck 9

Pete

5. johnny9fingers

Hi Pete, did you have the Olympus adapter?

6. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    I did....cost like $190... I returned it along with the lens.... :(

so right now I have micro only 4/3 lens...the 17mm and 14-54 zoom...

Good luck...there is a ton of choices out there...

PEte

7. johnny9fingers

If the lens stopping down is common when using the 4/3rd lenses I may want to stick with mu-43 lenses, I wish there was more of a selection....

8. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    no distortion with Lumix 20mm f1.7 on E-P2

The following really deserves its own thread, but I cannot see any way to start a new thread. I have permission to post, but there is apparently no button visible to me which I can click for a new thread. Please advise.

I got the 20mm f1.7 lens today, and took it out for its first exposures. I was expecting to see barrel distortion, but was surprised to fine none in the JPEG images. The following shows that the E-P2 software is correcting the Lumix lens for distortion.

[​IMG]

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Johnny I have just ordered a Panasonic adapter to use specifically with my Oly 50mm. It is about 2/3 the price.

It is also black and suits the E-p2. Oly has a black adapter in the pipeline.

10. johnny9fingers

Thanks for the info Bilzmale. I'm more concerned about Pete's report his 4/3rd lens stopping down when using his E-P2's AF.....Does anyone else have experience with this happening with 4/3rd lenses on a mu-43 camera?

11. johnny9fingers

As promised, here is the response from Olympus.
    Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.
    Yes the 50mm f2.0 Macro ED Zuiko Digital Lens can be used with the EP-2. You will need the MMF-1 (Four/Thirds to Micro Four/Thirds) adapter.
    All features of the lens and body are compatible and you will not see any loss of functionality.

So I will be placing my order for the 50mm & adapter this evening. Sorry to Brian for expressing doubts after you said it would work fine. But I'm skittish about spending money these days, and the report of 4/3rds lenses stopping down when using AF made me pause. Brian, I will never doubt you again ; )

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hey, I have no problems being double checked... You're right to be 100% sure before making a significant purchase like this.

Just be aware that Olympus have promised what looks like an m4/3rds version on the 50mm f2 in the next few months.

Cheers

Brian

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Not 100% sure on this, but I think (emphasis on the word "think") the C-AF w/ tracking won't work on the native 4/3 lenses. I need to go home and check.

14. johnny9fingers

Thanks for the info, it might make more sense to wait for this as I'm sure it will be quite a bit smaller. But after beeing so close to making a purchase it's hard to wait.......

Regards,

John

15. johnny9fingers

Aw heck!!!! I'm going to get the 50mm. I don't want to miss out on using the lens as spring comes round.....

16. jrosen2

jrosen2 New to Mu-43

May 29, 2010
    Slow focusing?

It has been reported elsewhere that this lens (Zuiko 50mm f 2) is very slow to focus on m 4/3 cameras. Can those who have the lens comment on this. Thanks

17. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    It is really not slow except that it has a very long focus range, so if it has to rack the whole range it is a little slower

18. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    he P2 manual states that "Four-Thirds lenses operate in S-AF mode" -- so it appears it won't use continuous or tracking AF

19. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    That's right - C-AF is a bit of a non-starter with CDAF at the moment... but for stills and macro work plus posed portraits the ZD 50mm f2 macro is well worth having - superb image quality.

Cheers

Brian

20. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

This lens is not fast to focus and can 'hunt' even with 4/3 bodies. I eventually sold mine and bought the PL 45mm. The 50 is still a stellar lens tho'.