1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 35mm macro on om-d

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mini0ne, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mini0ne

mini0ne New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2012
    hi ive just snagged a 35mm macro four thirds lens and ive got the mmf-1 adaptor what i wondered is does using the mmf-1 act as a extension tube as it moves the lens further from the sensor

if it does has anyone else got this combo as i will need to set the correct length for the ibis i believe ?

thanks in advance :)

2. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    No it does not. The mmf-1 will set it at its proper distance and make the lens work as intended. I use it on an Epl1 with great results. And the ibis will work automatically just as a native lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The MMF-1 is there to set the Four Thirds lens further away from the Micro Four Thirds Sensor - ie the same distance as the Four Thirds lens would be away from the Sensor in a Four Thirds camera - ie an Olympus E420
    This is because the optics in Four Thirds Lenses are designed to focus onto the Four Thirds Sensor at a greater distance with a mirror in between whereas Micro Four Thirds Lenses are designed to focus directly onto the sensor at a shorter distance because there is no mirror etc in the way which is how Micro Four Thirds bodies manage to be smaller and that much more compact
    The sensor is exactly the same size in both Four Thirds and M43 - it's just the lack of mirror and 'flange to sensor' distance and the resulting reduction in camera size that sets them apart
    Hope this helps your understanding (and that I'm entirely correct in my assertions)
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. mini0ne

mini0ne New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2012
    excellent thanks guys was worried that id set the ibis incorrectly and not get the best out of the lens :)

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So mini0ne, once you get the lens attached to your OM-D, can you comment on how fast it auto-focuses (if at all)?

Thanks,

6. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I had the ZD 35/3.5 macro with DMW-MA1 for a while when I had my EPL1.

AF is slow. dreadfully slow. It's a pity because the ZD 35/3.5 is one of my favorite lenses.

I ended up selling the DMW-MA1 and just buying a used E-1 body to use with my ZD 35/3.5 macro. It's a great combo.

7. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

It is painfully slow on the EM5 with MMF3

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ok, thanks for that input. I am starting to think that any adapted lens is going to be very slow on the EM-5, although it is probably not a problem with just the EM-5. I'm sure it's a byproduct of the adapter.

9. mini0ne

mini0ne New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2012
    ill let you know i did have the adaptor i used with 40-150 lens i never found the af to be a problem that was on epl1 and epl2

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If a macro lens is fast in Autofocus it is an exception, not the rule. Macro lenses have a very long focus throw to enable precise focus adjustments and are best used with manual focus... or with a focus rail, or with a gentle sway back or forth of the body.

I believe the new m.Zuiko macro lens has fast AF... again, that's an exception not the rule. These are nice new improvements in technology which we never saw in the past.

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For non-macro shots, about 2 seconds for the green box to come up with a beep. If the focus distance has not changed much from one shot to the next, then a little faster. Speed on the EM5 and EPL1 is comparable. Focusing in macro mode is slower, but like Ned said, not an issue.

If the lens is starting from a macro position, it might take as long as six seconds to unwind itself to the proper position for a non-macro shot. Occasionally, it never gets there, if the focus box is small and the target has little contrast.

It seems just as contrary on the E510. Normal focus is less than 1/2 second, but sometimes it can crawl and sometimes just gives up too.

I wanted a macro and this refurbed 35mm fit my budget. I'm quite satisfied with it.