Oly 25?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DynaSport, May 14, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Will Olympus ever come out with a 25 to compete with the Panasonic, or do you think Olympus has just conceded the 25 focal length to Pan?
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Olympus has seemed reticent to release m4/3 lenses that have an old school 4/3 equivalent, like their 25mm pancake.

I I also think Olympus and Panasonic tried not to compete too directly in the early years.

That being said, I think we'll see one at some point.
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Yeah, apart from the consumer zooms the two companies aren't really competing directly. Which is smart, IMO -- it allows them to develop a more mature system faster than one company could do alone.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Why do we need one? The PL25 is an excellent lens and the price is reasonable for the speedand quality. :cool:
  5. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    Personally, I would love to see a Oly ZD 20/1.4 built to high end standards and sharpness. 20mm represents a great compromise between the 17mm and 25mm focal lengths.

Oly Zuiko had a 40/2 pancake that was very popular back in the film days. I always hoped then they would release a 40/1.4 to replace both a mythical 35/1.4 and an actual 50/1.4.

A 20/1.4 prime and a 14-40/2.8 (or 12-40/2.8) zoom would be a great lens to introduce with their upcoming pro body that will unify the 4:3 and ยต4:3 lens lines.
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Perhaps we don't. I am not that knowledgeable about the corrections that are made in the software of our cameras at the time of capture, but I understood that Oly cameras don't correct for some issues like chromatic aberration
    for Panasonic lenses, while they do for Oly lenses. I thought that might be an advantage.

I have also thought that competition often improves the breed, so an Oly offering might help from a quality or cost aspect. Since the 25 Panasonic is so highly thought of, maybe quality is not an issue, but perhaps cost could be improved. Or not.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Olympus bodies doesn't correct CA at all, even their own lenses. They just try to make lenses that minimizes CA.

That being said, you've hit the mark on cost. Plenty of people would want a cheaper 25mm prime. If there is a 25/1.8 at $299, people would buy that.

The other thing is weight. PL25/1.4 isn't a heavy lens by any means but it is a heavier lens in the m4/3 system. Some people would want a 50mm-e that balances well with small bodies like E-PM and GF.