Oly 20mm 1.4?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
TBH, they should focus on getting things small again.
I agree. One of the reasons the P20mm 1.7 is popular is because it is so small and yet pretty fast too (and, of course, sharp). Do we really need a fat heavy 20mm 1.4? I sure don't. Weather sealing would be nice, but not if it makes it even heavier. Just IMHO.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The f 1.8 Oly primes were designed for the user with the Pen and E-M10 cameras which are no sealed,

The weather-sealed E-M5 predates the 17/1.8, the 25/1.8, and the E-M10. And the 17/1.8 predates the E-M10. So I wouldn't state they were designed for those specific cameras as they had a very popular weather-sealed E-M5 that I am sure they intended to sell many of those primes to users of the E-M5 as much as any of the other bodies.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think there is a lot misunderstanding about Micro Four Thirds everywhere. Most people either have way too high expectations about the compactness of the system, or they have way too low expectations of the performance of the system, based on the sensor size.

Fact is, it is still a system with a BIG sensor, way bigger than in a modern smartphone or in a compact camera 15 years ago. Me coming from a 15 year old Olympus point-and-shoot camera, Micro Four Thirds was going a BIG leap in either size or performance, no matter what. If I was not willing to accept any increase in size, then I would not experience the full leap in performance. The performance was just as important as compactness to attract me to the system.

That's why I think focusing so much on compactness would not help Olympus/OM compete with either smartphones or APS-C/full frame/medium format systems. I think their strength, what they should continue to build upon, is how they balanced performance with size, especially when IBIS is considered. Try to maximize the system's strengths, not just as one with a smaller sensor and but also as one with a bigger sensor. A new series of weather-sealed F1.4 "Pro" primes to better match with the weather-sealed E-M5 series could be important to that goal (but I think they should concentrate on releasing more F4 zooms first, and expand upon the F1.2 series of primes).

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Fact is, it is still a system with a BIG sensor, way bigger than in a modern smartphone or in a compact camera 15 years ago. Me coming from a 15 year old Olympus point-and-shoot camera, Micro Four Thirds was going a BIG leap in either size or performance, no matter what. If I was not willing to accept any increase in size, then I would not experience the full leap in performance. The performance was just as important as compactness to attract me to the system.
I agree with this completely. When I went from Oly and Canon superzoom point-and-shots to the Oly E-520 DSLR, I experienced a big jump in IQ and also size. So I knew that and accepted it.

However, I did like the fact that it was smaller (even back then) than most APS-C DSLRs, even though the E-520 was as heavy as a current E-M1.3 (20 oz). So the fact that it was somewhat smaller than APS-C cameras (and the lenses too), and the 2x crop factor getting me more reach with telephoto lenses, was a big reason I chose it.

Fast forward to today, I still expect the equipment to be smaller. Not A LOT smaller, but I am willing to give up some photo criteria (IQ, DR, etc) to get the smaller size. But when they introduce lenses that are not small just for the sake of large apertures, that's what I have always disliked. So I am sitting here applauding the 12-45 and the 8-25, but that's because they are both Pro-level lenses and they do NOT have that 1.4 max aperture. Bravo to Olympus for f4 Pros!! I never thought I'd see the day! Now we are hearing about a 20mm Pro f1.4? I was hoping those days were over.

OK, I exaggerate a little - if they want to produce these fast Pro lenses for people who like them, that's fine. But they should also make Pro-level slower lenses for those who care about size.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
For goodness sake, just bloody weather seal the 1.8's ! Why keep building a rugged Em5 line and refuse to produce appropriate small primes!? Illogical madness.

Any way, rant over. A 20/1.4 would be interesting.

It's as logical as Fuji's Fujicron line, which are all sealed despite having no comparable sealed body....

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
It's as logical as Fuji's Fujicron line, which are all sealed despite having no comparable sealed body....

Adding them to an Xpro1/2/3 or Xt2/3/4 seems pretty logical to me.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-will-olympus-launch-a-new-20mm-f-1-4/

It would be nice to see some interesting new lenses, but given it's Oly and it's 1.4, it's likely to be perfect, large, and expensive. I'm not the early adopter for that kind of lens, but will be following the developments.
If it comes in between the PL25 and P20 (maybe around the size of the O17 f/1.8) I'd be interested. I might even sell off my PL25 and P20 for it.

1627525781716.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
This lens could fill a nice niche in the system. Hope it's true, and they do it the right way (i.e. size, weight, price, quality).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom