Oly 17mm vs. Pana 20mm...

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Really? The 17mm focusing is faster than the 20mm?

My perception is that the 17 focuses faster and is faster shot to shot than the 20, assuming similar conditions. I prefer it for daytime street shooting and that's one of the reasons, the field of view is the other. I don't have anything to back this up, never did any testing, not really a numbers kind of guy, just how it feels to me. Of course, in very low light the 20 focuses faster because it CAN focus in situations where the 17 may not be able to. But generally, yeah, I'd have to agree that the 17 is a bit faster.

-Ray

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
My perception is that the 17 focuses faster and is faster shot to shot than the 20, assuming similar conditions. I prefer it for daytime street shooting and that's one of the reasons, the field of view is the other. I don't have anything to back this up, never did any testing, not really a numbers kind of guy, just how it feels to me. Of course, in very low light the 20 focuses faster because it CAN focus in situations where the 17 may not be able to. But generally, yeah, I'd have to agree that the 17 is a bit faster.

My tests weren't exactly scientific either. I had both and just tried focusing on the same thing with each lens and swapping between the two.

Having said that, it's *very* minor, it's close enough that in reality you won't notice. You'd only notice if you've used both a lot so you get use to it. Otherwise if you ever just saw both in action you would say they're the same.

Latest threads

Top Bottom