Oly 17mm or Pana 20mm - which

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BillN, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just got my G1 and guess what - no no no says my wife - definitely not - and i mean no - I am sick of all these parcels coming thru the door - anyway you are still buying stuff for your D300 and you told me that is all you would ever need AND I thought that you said you were going to buy me a Canon S90

Anyway - I can ask the question without spending money - can't I

Which one - 17 or 20

The Pana is (much) more expensive, but 1.7 versus 2.8
    IS not needed on a wide?

pros and cons - which do you reckon

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, if I had to choose (I don't, I have both) - I'd go with the 20mm f1.7... it has a biting sharpness you won't find in the 17mm lens, and the wider aperture and slightly longer focal length will give you a little more flexibility and depth of field.

Unfortunately, stabilisation is quite useful for the 20mm f1.7 too... which is why I prefer the Pen in this form factor. The G1/GH1 have better grips and can be stabilised against your eye, so not such an issue with those bodies.

Tell your wife you'll be selling your D300 and lenses in due course :rofl: and she won't be annoyed by having 'the camera guy' following her around any more :clap2:

Cheers

Brian

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Wife!
    Hmm, there is no cure!
    The lens? I couldn't decide so I have both.
    If only 1 we allowed by the Wife...the 20 fo it's speed.
    As with Brian, I use the Pen 1.

The Wife......sorry friend.......

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Wife!
    Hmm, there is no cure!
    The lens? I couldn't decide so I have both.
    If only 1 we allowed by the Wife...the 20 fo it's speed.
    As with Brian, I use the Pen 1.

The Wife......sorry friend.......

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I posted 2 xs cause that's a tuff situation.

Nah I'm just stupid!

Amin, Brian.... Feel free to delete my second post and this one so I don't look like a 60yo fool....

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You're here about your wife complaining you've spent too much, and she already gave you an out...just order the 20mm AND the S90! (only communicating an argument I've read before, honest :biggrin: )

The 20mm is a very nice lens, I've only had the GF1/20 kit for 2 days and it is just such a great focal length - although 50mm (35mm equivalent) is supposely 'what the eye sees', the 40mm perspective is very close. The length just feels natural. I am sure 17mm (34 equiv) works in almost the same way, but the perspective I have found is great.

The 20mm is also significantly faster - 1.5x (if memory serves), which essentially makes the stabilization argument (of the e-p1) equaled, however the faster aperture allows for faster shutter speeds which can capture action (while stabilization allows slower shutter speeds - not helpful if your scene has moving elements). Certainly as was mentioned, a Pen body with the 20mm is the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    First things first: Buy your wife a S90!

If only my wife would take an interest in photography :cloud-9-039: I'd trip over myself getting to Best Buy to buy her that S90!