Oly 17mm manual focusing question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by penfan2010, Aug 16, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I just sold my Oly 17mm F2.8 and buyer just asked if the MF ring is supposed to turn (apparently it doesn't). I always used the 17mm on AF with the VF-1 so never really experimented with MF. I don't recall ever fiddling with the ring, so am embarrassed to say I don't recall if the MF ring ever did turn. Perspective from Oly 17 owners appreciated. thanks!
  2. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK

I've just checked my Oly 17mm and yes the manual focusing ring does turn - not sure how else the lens would focus if the ring didn't turn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. novocien

novocien New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2011
    It is possible to manually rotate it in MF mode, but in AF it doesn't turn though. The ring is just a stylish control with totally electronic function, there is no mechanical connection between it and optics. Works the same as an electronic accelerator which remains unpressed in cruise control mode.
  4. GdenisM

GdenisM Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm actually the person who bought the lens. I just want to make sure. The knurled wheel SHOULD turn freely in MF, like the kit lens?

This one is frozen. Doesn't move at all.

5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks to both of you for confirming--yes, am familiar with the mechanism from my other native lenses. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a quirk of the Oly 17mm design.