Oly 17mm f1.8 won't auto focus anymore?!?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JStheoriginal, Aug 11, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    So I tried using my lens this weekend and noticed that when in S-AF mode it wouldn't auto focus. I could manually turn the ring and focus that way but not with the half shutter click.

I thought maybe it was a camera setting but couldn't see anything. So I stuck on my 12-50mm macro and it focused fine with the same settings.

What the heck? Should I try something to make the lens reset? Help appreciated!

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    slide the ring forward on the barrel to re engage the af motor

3. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    There's a ring on the 17mm f1.8?? I know of one on the 12-50mm but didn't notice one on the prime...

4. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    I don't have this lens but my guess is that it is stuck in MF mode. Have you try to switch back to AF by pushing the focus ring forward?

From what I have read on some reviews:

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital 17mm f/1.8 Review | PhotographyBLOG
    "Focusing
    With the focus ring in its normal position, manual focusing works just like it does on any other Micro Four Thirds lens. In MF, S-AF+MF or C-AF+MF mode – as set on the camera – you can simply grab the focus ring and rotate it to focus on your subject. Focusing is done “by wire” as the ring is not mechanically coupled to the moving lens elements. In this position, the focus ring has no stops, hard or soft, at either end of the focus range – which is again typical of an MFT lens.

Pulling the focus ring back sends the lens to manual focus mode, irrespective of what focusing method you have set on the camera. In this position, the focus ring stops when you reach infinity or the close-focus point, much like on a classic manual-focus lens. Although you are still focusing by wire – which becomes especially obvious if you magnify into the live view feed while focusing –, the experience is closer to using a purely manual lens. The most tangible benefit of Olympus' “Snapshot Focus mechanism”, however, is that it allows you to use zone focusing techniques, courtesy of the engraved distance scale and depth-of-field marks."

5. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    You don't read review before buying the lens ... do you? :wink:

6. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    You win! That was exactly it. I didn't notice the ring's ability to move! Thanks!

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Haha, One of the reasons I bought this lens over the 20 1.7 was for the fast to engage and silky smooth MF ring. However, I noticed several reviewers at Amazon were befuddled by the MF mechanism. It is a different and innovative design.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This thread gave me a chuckle! I knew before even reading it what the problem was. :biggrin:

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I did exactly the same thing when I got the 17...hmm, manual focus is lovely but why won't it AF? Ahhhh, (click), much happiness.
    It's a great lens btw, glad all the +ve feedback here prompted me to buy it - so much happier with it for evening events than my 20mm!

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think everyone who has the 17/1.8 has done this at some time or another - some of us several times!!