Oly 17 vs Panny 14 - small clarification wanted

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Oct 15, 2011.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hi folks,
    I've owned both these lenses and, foolishly, have since sold them both. Now, since Oly isn't seemingly ready to make a 17mm MSC lens, I'm looking at rebuying one of these two great little lenses for my soon to arrive PM1.
    Contrary to the luke-warm reviews, I quite liked the 17mm, though it was slow on the PL1. I expect a slight speed increase on the PM1 but not earth-shattering.
    The 14 was very nice too. The one thing that struck me about it though, and what I'm seeking clarification on, was that it didn't seem to have as close as focusing distance at the 17. I could get, basically, right in someone's face with the 17 and it did a good job of achieving focus. With the 14 I found I had to stand back a bit, not a lot, but certainly more than I did with the 17. I checked out the specs, but the difference in close focus distance between the two comes across as minor. That's not what it seemed to me in real-world use.
    Am I off on that assessment?
    It's a small thing but it's important to me. I like getting in tight with the camera.
    Thanks much.
  2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I had the 17, and then bought the 14 and 20. The 14 has a substantially wider field of view than the 17 (think 28mm vs 35mm on a fullframe camera), so it is not unexpected that you can't fill a frame with a small subject even with similar close focus distances.

In usage, the 17 is more similar to the 20 than it is to the 14.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Thanks Roberto,
    I wouldn't expect to fill the frame in the same way with the 14. I just expected to be able to achieve autofocus lock with the 14 at a proximity more approximating that of the 17. Oh wait a second, right, maybe I was. The light just turned on.
    Hmm. Well.
    Where's that darned 17mm MSC R lens then?
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Have you googled "minimum focus distance olympus 17mm" etc.

my 14mm shows an MFD of .18m. I don't have the 17 to check
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    How close to someone's face do you want to get with a wide-angle lens :eek:

P.S. MFD on the 17 is 0.2m
    • Like Like x 1
  6. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Pretty close when it's my little boy after eating blueberries, and he has this gigantic purple grimace with an equally purple tongue sticking out at me. Just so long as his purple hands aren't going for the lens.
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hey why is yer white balance always making things blueypurple n blurry? ;D

- Eliot
  8. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    We have a video taken with my Fuji F31 of my little boy when he's one, laying on the bed. As I bring the camera up to his head he suddenly gets this big grin as he grabs hold of the wrist strap and starts yanking up and down like crazy, neither of us willing to let go, him smiling away and me nervously laughing. It's only funny until someone loses a camera.