Oly 17/1.8 or Oly 25/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rkhndjr, Jan 21, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I know they are different focal lengths but I would like some opinions on using the 17mm as general purpose. I like the 25mm but have read the 17mm is very good. Any help? Thanks

2. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I use my 17mm mostly were light is at a premium for instance pubs, parties and at night. The 17mm is just about wide enough as not to be a handicap, but I think that 25mm would be a bit too tight for me. The 17mm is also a little smaller than the 25mm, but not by much.

It really depends what you are going to use it for though.

3. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you for the reply.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Both lenses are great performers.

Pick your favorite focal length, it really is just that simple. To be honest, 99% of the Oly or Panasonic m43 prime lenses are killer optically. 95% of them are killer in the AF arena. Even the ones that are in the lower percent are not really dogs either.

5. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well, the 25 is closer to 45 than the 17. So 25 it is.

:)

6. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, I am indoors all the time due to illness and want one which I can use indoors to help me mentally. But I want good quality. I do not have any idea of the 17 ability since nver used one.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I own both lenses and both are great. But if I want to use a prime for general use I'll grab the 17mm first every time. Really, as others have said, it's just a matter of picking the focal length you prefer. I like the more "relaxed" view of the 17mm (34mm equivalent). I can work with the 25mm (50mm equivalent) just fine. But it's just a bit tighter a view than I prefer.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    'It's Deja Vu All Over Again' ...... Yogi Berra

9. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    If this is your only prime lens, then I would vote for the 25... it is a good compromise between wide angle and portrait. Otherwise, knowing what other lenses you have or like using the most would be helpful. (i.e. if you really like your kit lens, then you may want to try the 45, which is likely outside that range)

10. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    There are many freeware programs available that analyse your photos using the EXIF data. Download one of them and see which focal lengths you use most with your 14-45. If it's in the 14-22 range, get the 17, otherwise, the 25. Simples :)

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    When I did that I found that on pretty much every zoom I have (had) I used them at their extremes way more than in the middle. So, my first two primes were the P14 and O45. Then I bought the PL25, which I use way more than either of the others. So, while I see this advice all the time and I have given it myself, I have found that using a prime is different for me. I start seeing things in the prime focal length. So, the more I use the 25, the more I see things as 25. Pretty much now I start with the 25 for everything and if I find I can't fit everything I want in the frame I put on the 14 or if I can't get close enough to the shot as tight as I want I put on the 45. But the 25 is almost always where I start. I think with my zooms, I just stayed put more and zoomed as close as I could or as far back as I could, without moving myself. Of course I could have moved using the zoom, I just tended not to. So, if you find that you use the extremes of a zoom the most too, that doesn't necessarily mean that is your favorite focal length. It could mean that you are just used to using the zoom to zoom instead of moving to get a perspective you like better.

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Then I would definitely go with the 17/1.8. You'll appreciate the extra width indoors.

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    A bit off-topic but have you thought about a cheap, manual macro lens? Lots of fun stuff you can do indoors with macro :)
    Can't comment on the 25mm but I love my 17mm indoors - especially with a small flash like the fl300r.

15. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    When I was torn between 17 or 25 I kept telling myself that if 17mm feels wide, you can get closer, but you might not be able to step back with 25. It applies indoors even more.
    Also after I held both in a store, 25 felt like a plastic toy, while 17 feels like a solid piece of lens.
    That's my bit. :rolleyes: