1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oly 17/1.8 blue 'flare'?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kalifornier, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    I was testing my Oly 17/1.8 recently on a sunrise hot air balloon ride and bunch of pics showed a blue comet like flare (see pic). When I cover the side of lens with hand, the flare disappeared. However, I also noticed a small pinhole size mark near the center of the lens. I was wondering if this 'flare' could be result of side light reflecting/bouncing through this tiny scratch/mark or a flare would happen regardless for primes at wide open? Has any one else had similar experience with the O17/1.8? Thanks!
    P9160565-001.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I've never seen flare like that with my copies when shooting into the sun. I'd bet a lens hood will solve the problem since blocking the excess light with your hand removed the flare.

-Fun shot BTW

• Like Like x 1
  3. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Definitely try a lens hood for shooting this close to the sun. You can get a knock off of the Olympus version for under $20.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, and I have taken a lot of pics with similar lighting. I do, however, usually use a hood. Just out of curiosity, what body are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will get a JJC hood.

@David: I use a GX7.

6. soundsun

soundsun Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Phil
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I wonder if the sensor/engine has anything to do with it. This lens lives on my E-M10 which uses the TruPic VII engine instead of version VI.

8. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Never had this issue with my 17mm both the PL5 and EM1. Are you using a filter on your lens?

9. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    As it turned out, I just needed a hood. Since then, no flare :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.