1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly 17/1.8 blue 'flare'?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kalifornier, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    I was testing my Oly 17/1.8 recently on a sunrise hot air balloon ride and bunch of pics showed a blue comet like flare (see pic). When I cover the side of lens with hand, the flare disappeared. However, I also noticed a small pinhole size mark near the center of the lens. I was wondering if this 'flare' could be result of side light reflecting/bouncing through this tiny scratch/mark or a flare would happen regardless for primes at wide open? Has any one else had similar experience with the O17/1.8? Thanks! P9160565-001.JPG

2. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I've never seen flare like that with my copies when shooting into the sun. I'd bet a lens hood will solve the problem since blocking the excess light with your hand removed the flare.

-Fun shot BTW

• Like Like x 1
  3. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Definitely try a lens hood for shooting this close to the sun. You can get a knock off of the Olympus version for under $20.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, and I have taken a lot of pics with similar lighting. I do, however, usually use a hood. Just out of curiosity, what body are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will get a JJC hood.

@David: I use a GX7.

6. soundsun

soundsun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Phil
    I'm curious if using a hood on your 17mm solved the flare problem - I've had a similar blue flare in some of my shots with the 17mm even when using the hood. In this picture below, you can see the flare a 1/4 of the way from the bottom, just left of center.

14517078631_17b01c8df5_c. Massive Soviet war memorial by philcalvert, on Flickr

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I wonder if the sensor/engine has anything to do with it. This lens lives on my E-M10 which uses the TruPic VII engine instead of version VI.

8. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Never had this issue with my 17mm both the PL5 and EM1. Are you using a filter on your lens?

9. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    As it turned out, I just needed a hood. Since then, no flare :smile: