Oly 14-54mm vs 14-42mm is it worth the price?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dave92029, May 15, 2010.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I was wondering if it was a worth the price, $500, to upgrade from the Kit 14-42mm lens to the 14-54mm lens IF I have the adaptor?

Anyone have any comparison photos taken with each lens so we can see the differences?

The 14-54mm is faster AF and has a better DOF, and the reviews say that it is a sharp lens. The question I have about "sharp" is generally it means greater resolution, and it's hard to know what you aren't seeing using the lens you have until you have something better. :>)

Much appreciated. Thanks

2. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    $500 is a high price for a 14-54...I just sold mine for $400 in excellent condition.

It was a good bit better in terms of image quality compared to the non-micro 14-42, but the autofocus speed is not going to be good at all on an mFT body...it supports contrast-detect AF, but isn't optimized for it.

3. txomin

txomin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Bilbao, Spain
    take care, 14-54 II manteins AF, the 14-54 first version doesn't.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I found the lens review on Biofos to be useful. Quite simple and restricted testing which makes for great comparisons across his site.

Aye, here's the one ;
    biofos.com; Zuiko Digital standard lens comparison.

Enjoy.
    Oh yeah, I just remembered which forum this is. Of course he's not using the m4/3rds kit lens but it still reviews the one you're wondering about.

5. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    That's the Answer

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for and the expected conclusion as well. :2thumbs:

Dave

6. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Hi there, I just found a 3yr old used Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 Mk1 for USD250. Do you think it's worth a buy for my EP-2?

7. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    Nokiamia,
    I have used 14-54 Mk II on e-PL1 and focuses OK and enjoyed a lot the image quality and the wider aperture.
    If at all possible try the Mk 1 before you buy since the Contrast AF is NOT supported with Mk 1 and it may not focus as fast as you expect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    hi ET100, thanks so much. your information hits the right spot. i think i will forget about the MK1 and hunt for MKII. i can sleep well tonight. thanks again.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Thought I would post a quick update to this thread. I just picked up a used 14-54mm Mk1 yesterday afternoon from National Camera (local camera chain - a rarity, I know!). At first it didn't AF and I thought it would have to go back, but I hadn't mounted it right! AF is about as good as the 70-300mm, actually quicker but it has a little bit more difficult time finding focus; this is of course indoors in poor light, so I would expect it to do better outdoors in better light and contrast. So, the Mk1 does also work, at least on my e-pl1!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.