Oly 14-54mm vs 14-42mm is it worth the price?

dave92029

Mu-43 Regular
I was wondering if it was a worth the price, $500, to upgrade from the Kit 14-42mm lens to the 14-54mm lens IF I have the adaptor?

Anyone have any comparison photos taken with each lens so we can see the differences?

The 14-54mm is faster AF and has a better DOF, and the reviews say that it is a sharp lens. The question I have about "sharp" is generally it means greater resolution, and it's hard to know what you aren't seeing using the lens you have until you have something better. :>)

Much appreciated. Thanks

adam

Mu-43 Regular
$500 is a high price for a 14-54...I just sold mine for $400 in excellent condition.

It was a good bit better in terms of image quality compared to the non-micro 14-42, but the autofocus speed is not going to be good at all on an mFT body...it supports contrast-detect AF, but isn't optimized for it.

dave92029

Mu-43 Regular
That's the Answer

I found the lens review on Biofos to be useful. Quite simple and restricted testing which makes for great comparisons across his site.

Aye, here's the one ;
biofos.com; Zuiko Digital standard lens comparison.

Enjoy.
Oh yeah, I just remembered which forum this is. Of course he's not using the m4/3rds kit lens but it still reviews the one you're wondering about.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for and the expected conclusion as well. :2thumbs:

Dave

nokiamia

Mu-43 Regular
Hi there, I just found a 3yr old used Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 Mk1 for USD250. Do you think it's worth a buy for my EP-2?

et100

Mu-43 Regular
Nokiamia,
I have used 14-54 Mk II on e-PL1 and focuses OK and enjoyed a lot the image quality and the wider aperture.
If at all possible try the Mk 1 before you buy since the Contrast AF is NOT supported with Mk 1 and it may not focus as fast as you expect.

nokiamia

Mu-43 Regular
hi ET100, thanks so much. your information hits the right spot. i think i will forget about the MK1 and hunt for MKII. i can sleep well tonight. thanks again.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Thought I would post a quick update to this thread. I just picked up a used 14-54mm Mk1 yesterday afternoon from National Camera (local camera chain - a rarity, I know!). At first it didn't AF and I thought it would have to go back, but I hadn't mounted it right! AF is about as good as the 70-300mm, actually quicker but it has a little bit more difficult time finding focus; this is of course indoors in poor light, so I would expect it to do better outdoors in better light and contrast. So, the Mk1 does also work, at least on my e-pl1!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom